1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 9:16 AM by beverly

Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable

factorycat

Hi All,

I'm developing a website for a UK based kitchen company. One of their problems is keeping a printed black and white price list up to date. I've attached a design for the new layout but I want Filemaker to generate this. My question is can Filemaker generate an intelligent layout generating Category>Subcategory then products under that category without multiple instances of category>subcategory etc. Is it possible for Filemaker to break the pages in logical sections? I know I could use a plugin to QuarkXpress for this but I dont not want to step outside of Filemaker if at all possible.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
          martinbrewer

Should be achievable if your base table is the unit, and the options are a fixed portal.

You can sort by groups etc and go from there.

PS Do people still use Quark? I thought they burned their bridges a long time ago?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
            RayCologon

factorycat wrote:

...My question is can Filemaker generate an intelligent layout generating Category>Subcategory then products under that category without multiple instances of category>subcategory etc. Is it possible for Filemaker to break the pages in logical sections?

Hi factorycat,

Yes, it should be possible to create a pretty precise replication of the format shown in your example, with appropriate grouping by category and subcategory, and with controls on pagination etc.

Along the lines Martin has mentioned, a portal (set to slide and reduce) will be able to show variable numbers of rows of detail adjacent to each product image and description, and you'll be able to add leading subsummary parts to appear when the product records are sorted by subcategory and category. Also, it's possible to specify that each category and/or subcategory should start a new page - and that will likely be sufficient control for the pages to flow appropriately.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
              beverly

Of course, I understand this is just a sample. But since your images don't match your descriptions (# of doors, for example!), It's a little hard to see how this needs to be data-normalized into proper tables for sorting and grouping. I *think*:

* you'd have at least five tables

1. The first table would be tied to the tall, bold label "Base Units", as this seems to be separated in some way.

2. The second table, related to the first, would be the table the second grouping labeled "Carcass height...."

3. The third table would be (related to the second table), the one with the image, the label example "HighLine Single...", the description, the number of doors, & the number of selves.

4. The fourth table woud be related to the third table and contain the W (width) and SKU

5. The fifth table sould be related to the fourth table and have each of the 9 prices. OR if there will always be a fixed number of prices (1-9) these may be separate fields in table four.

I might create this as an HTML table, by calculating the various "cells" that need to be output. It definitely can be exported as HTML (images are references to graphics on the website). I'd start FROM the fourth table and get related data (both ways) from there.

A way that is more complex, is to use FM web publishing with PHP and with fpdf to create a PDF of this (it allows page breaks, where you need). This becomes a downloadable PDF that can be put on the website.

But only you know how this needs to be "normalized". From there we can help you create the report (in various ways).

If your information does not change often, then you can definately create the static-page HTML and/or PDF reports. In other words, you don't always need to use a Web Published database to show a report on the web.

HTH,

Beverly

• 4. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                comment

I also see five "levels" here. There is no doubt that the layout must be based on the 3rd-level table (the one with the images). To produce the rows of different widths, you need a portal to the 4th-level table (the one with the SKUs). The actual prices could be either calculated as a single row  in the 4th-level table, e.g. =

GetNthRecord ( Prices::Price ; 1 ) & Char ( 9 ) & GetNthRecord ( Prices::Price ; 2 ) & …

or shown by 9 filtered portals placed side-by-side (each portal filtered by quantity).

• 5. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                  factorycat

Thanks for all the feedback guy I'm moving in the right direction here is a little more information.

The cabinet data will come from the client quotation software which has the ability to export raw data as csv files this data in the quotation system maintained by the software vendor and is always current. The data exports from the quotation software needs to serve 2 purposes.

1) It provides a data feed for the website www.withknobson.com.

2) The same data will generate a printed price list to be used by the sales team.

We have already managed to create a set of simple scripts that imports the exported raw data from the quotation software, 'cleans' it then exports it as a formatted file ready for import into the ecommerce software.

Judging by your comments guys it look like I need to create a database for the data. This is where this project will stall I don't know if it appropriate here but do any of you guy want to put a price on this work?

• 6. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                    comment

factorycat wrote:

Judging by your comments guys it look like I need to create a database for the data.

Not necessarily. I assumed you already have the data in Filemaker (otherwise why post here?). If not, Filemaker could be used as the intermediate processor - but it's not the only option, and may not even be a good option.

What's missing here is the  structure of the source raw data, and the target format as required by the website (I think we have a good picture of the pricelist requirements). It would also help to know iwhat options the quotation software provides when exporting.

• 7. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                      factorycat

Yes the fomatted data is left in Filemaker once the scripts are run and the results exported to a import ready .csv file for the store. Not knowing Filemaker that well I assumed from the earlier posts that in order to perfrom what appears to be more complicated processing (portals etc) the data would be better broken in to related tables.

The data exported by the quote software is essentially a dump of product info and fields cannot be defined but it provides exactly what I require Category, Subcategory, SKU, Name, Description, ImageName, Price. The spreadsheet columns are mapped to fields of the same name on import. Additional data required for the website eg; Currency Format, Tax format, Catalog Name, is added with a script but this addtional information is not required for the price list report. Cabinets images are alos written out of the quote software and are appropriately named with the SKU.

Would it be useful to the raw data?

• 8. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                        comment

factorycat wrote:

The data exported by the quote software is essentially a dump of product info and fields cannot be defined but it provides exactly what I require Category, Subcategory, SKU, Name, Description, ImageName, Price.

How does this map to the PDF you posted? I see that each SKU has 9 prices.

• 9. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                          factorycat

Yes these are the price groups. A kitchen will fall into a price group 1 being the cheapest (mdf door and plain colour cabinet) 9 the most expensive (solid hand patined timber and woodgrain style cabinet) this allow us to introduce a number of kitchen styles into a price group without having to produce a price list for every single finish and colour combination.

Currenty there are 6 active price groups but are intending to up to 9 in total maximum. I hoped to have the option when importing data to assign a price group. Using price group allows us to have many kitchens styles in the range whilst keeping the data imports manageable. We can effectively export raw data from the quotation software, import straight into Filemaker, run script, export web feed, update pricelist, print hard copy all within minutes...I hope!

All you help and advice is very much appraciated

Regards

• 10. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                            comment

But where is the price group in the list of the fields exported from the quotation software?

factorycat wrote:

We can effectively export raw data from the quotation software, import straight into Filemaker, run script, export web feed, update pricelist, print hard copy all within minutes...I hope!

I don't see why not - provided the data is all there.

• 11. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                              factorycat

The price group (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) is not a column included in the export there is no such concept in the quotation software. On import I hoped to be able to set a field with the appropriate price group.

• 12. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                                comment

factorycat wrote:

On import I hoped to be able to set a field with the appropriate price group.

Based on what? There is something missing from the chain you describe.

• 13. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                                  factorycat

There is nothing missing, 9 imports will be made 1 for each price group as part of the import routine the price group field will be set for each imported record.

• 14. Re: Price List Template - Is the attached layout achievable
                                    comment

Can you provide an example of the CSV output from the quotation software?

If you prefer not to post it here, send me a private message with your e-mail.

1 2 Previous Next