2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 10:57 AM by brsamuel

Case-sensitivity in ODBC fields

brsamuel

I have a solution that incorporates data (including first and last name fields) from an ODBC source. Unfortuantely, performing a find against this data is hindered by its case-sensitivity. Is there anything I can do to get around this inconvenience besides training the users?

I have tried to script the process, but if the user hits 'return' after typing a name, FileMaker dutifily performs the find without giving me the opportunity to first change the search string.

Thanks.

Marc

• 1. Re: Case-sensitivity in ODBC fields
          RayCologon

brsamuel wrote:

...I have tried to script the process, but if the user hits 'return' after typing a name, FileMaker dutifily performs the find without giving me the opportunity to first change the search string.

Hi Marc,

If you create a custom menu set that re-assigns the action of the Requests>Perform Find menu command to run a script, your script will run whenever a find is performed by any method (including when the user hits Return after entering some criteria in Find mode, and also when the Perform Find button on the Status Toolbar is clicked).

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Case-sensitivity in ODBC fields
            brsamuel

Quite right.  I had re-assigned the Find command to my script, but not the Perform Find command.

Thank you.