10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 4:51 PM by jrenfrew

Delivering a Go solution

PeterWindle

Hello everyone!

I was wanting to know if it is possible to install filemaker files on an iOS device without the need for iTunes???

Assumming that the user has FMGo already installed, then can files be copied to a particular directory on the device? This would be a better way (for the end user) to install a solution rather than via itunes.

and, then this leads to the next question of is there a way of copying the solution OFF the iOS device without going through itunes.

Is that directory on the iOS device accessible via the computer you plug it into?

• 1. Re: Delivering a Go solution
          katherinerussell

Hi Peter,

Here are two options (other than using iTunes) that will let you deploy FileMaker files to an iOS device:

• Attach the FileMaker file to an email addressed to an account that can be accessed on the iOS device. When the email is received, you can choose to open the file into FileMaker Go (and it will be saved in the Files on Device list).

• Place the file into a container field within a hosted FileMaker file, open the hosted file with FileMaker Go the iOS device and then export the field contents from the container field. Again, the file will appear in the Files on Device list and can be opened directly by FileMaker Go.

You can also use the email method to retrieve files from the iOS device - by using Save/Send > Database or running a script that uses "Save a Copy as" with "Create email with file as attachment" selected.

Hope this helps.

Katherine

• 2. Re: Delivering a Go solution
            beverly

Peter, I'd recommend that you read the iOS documentation in this forum. You  use iTunes to install FmGo app, yes. But you can get the databases in several ways:

* via email (you can open attachments, if it's fm db, you can choose to open with Go), if they are not too large.

* via web link (as above, you can choose to open with Go)

* via iTunes (yes, you can get them this way!)

* via Remote (from a fileMaker server). this doesn't leave a copy on your iOS, but a reference to it (just like with FmPro client accesses a file).

Does that help?

Beverly

• 3. Re: Delivering a Go solution
              PSI

Peter,

By far the best method I have seen…

http://www.colibrisolutions.com/2011/08/24/one-click-updating-of-a-filemaker-go-solution-on-a-mobile-ios-device/

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

CCQ-FM Inc.

O: 631.549.0969

C: 516.443.0966

john@pueblo-systems.com

• 4. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                CarstenLevin

Hi Beverly,

You write:

You use iTunes to install FmGo app, yes. But you can get the databases in several ways:

Sorry, but you do definetely not need itunes to install the FM GO app.

The standard procedure is:

• Go to appstore on your iOS device.
                • Find FM GO in the appstore.
                • Choose to buy if it is the first time from your account. If you have already purchased you will not have to pay, even if you press the buy button.

If you have already purchased for another iOS unit (A) that is synchronized to the same computer you are using to synch the other Unit (B) then B can get your FileMaker GO App from iTunes. But this is not the easiest way, althoug it will save network trafic by not downloading again.

I hope that this clarifies this issue.

And the methods that you mention are correct and will work. But also remember the one that was omitted:

• via email (you can open attachments, if it's fm db, you can choose to open with Go), if they are not too large.
                • via web link (as above, you can choose to open with Go)
                • via iTunes (yes, you can get them this way!)
                • via Remote (from a fileMaker server). this doesn't leave a copy on your iOS, but a reference to it (just like with FmPro client accesses a file).

At least in some cases the fifth method will come in handy:

• Put the file(s) you want to install locally on the iPad/Phone in containerfields on record(s) within a file hosted on FileMaker server - and then use scripts to store the files on you iOS devise. Please be aware that you can not use the usual path method since access to the iOS filesystem is limited.

Since the last method is very controlled it is probably the best in some situations. I have not tried, but maybe this method can even be reversed to retrive a filemaker file from the iOS unit by reading it into the containerfield on the server (if you want to get the file back for data import, for support reasons or other good grounds). I am going to try this:-)

Best regards

Carsten

• 5. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                  PeterWindle

Perhaps I should have given a bit more information:

I wish to copy just the FileMaker file from a desktop to an iOS device, from a bound FM Pro solution (no networking).

I am not too worried about the copy of FM Go, just copying the file from a desktop to an iOS device, so that the user can open the file from Go, without having to use iTunes to copy the file from the desktop to the device.

Looks like emaling made be the only way to bypass the usuall process, but I was kind of hoping that I could just copy the file into a specific directory on the iOS device so that it will show up as an available file.

• 6. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                    usbc

There are several "apps" that can make the connection to drag files to / from iOS devices.

Here is a link

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-turn-your-iphone-into-an-external-hard-disk/

Chuck

• 7. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                      beverly

Thank you, Carsten, for summarizing various ways to get FmGo and files to the iPad. I'd forgotton that you can get to the app store from the iPad. I live in an area that just got internet  last September (2011)! My iPad is NOT connected to the ether, unless I travel a distance... SIGH.

• 8. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                        beverly

And there is the dropbox. When I have wifi, I can add the file on my desktop and get it on my iPad.

http://www.dropbox.com/

Beverly

• 9. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                          CarstenLevin

Hi again, Beverly is right about DropBox. Lets add iDisk. The posibilities are so many and Dropbox/iDisk will probably be those two ways to do it that are closes to what you ask for.

• 10. Re: Delivering a Go solution
                            jrenfrew

There is also GoodReader on the iPad, which has a fabulous array of connection options, like to ftp sftp afp or WebDAV servers as well as Dropbox and more, once you have the file downloaded to the device you can then choose Open File In and select Go. Works a treat