10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 3:04 PM by keywords

Setting up network sharing of database.

danielle-gwa

I have developed a complex database for the company I am working in. I am now at a stage were I want other colleagues to access the database I have created. As this is my first database created using FileMaker Pro 11, I have established myself as the main administrator user. I have also set up 4 other accounts that have full access of the database for the time being and each has the allow network sharing selected. Finally I have saved the database on our companies apple time capsule which is shared on our internet network. Each colleague can access the files on the time capsule as they are connected to our companies internet network.

If I open the database and log in, then my colleague tries to open the database from the time capsule and log in he is unable to as I am already logged in.

Can anyone help me with what i am to do next to allow all 4 of my colleagues to simultaneously access the database?

I have read that it involves allowinf the filemaker sharing port 5003 to be used by our network.

I also know our network name and airport IP address which I think is needed.

I would be very grateful for an advice as soon as possible.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
          ChrisManton

Hi Danielle,

Simply sharing a FileMaker database as a file on on a server, (such as your TimeCapsule), much as you might with ordinary documents isn't going to work as you need it to. (And for lots of reasons, including a high probability that it will get damaged by being open while other things access it, is actually a really bad idea anyway).

FileMaker databases need to be HOSTED by one computer that is connected to a network and then GUESTS use their own local copy of FileMaker and use the 'Open Remote' command to locate that hosted file and then log on to it.

The host computer could be the one you are using.

But for best performance the host computer will be dedicated to this task and will not open the file remotely but have it on a local hard drive - and do nothing else but open the file and 'broadcast' it to its users. And in an ideal world you'll deploy FileMaker server rather than sharing peer-to-peer, since it is more robust, has better performance and can handle more than 8 guests.

There's lots more at <http://help.filemaker.com/>

To learn about setting a computer up as host:
          <http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6097/kw/host>

To learn about connecting to (being a guest of) a host:

<http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6422/kw/hosting>

I hope this helps...

Chris M
          BabelFix, London

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
            PSI

Hi Danielle,

There are 2 main methods to share Filemaker files. One is with Filemaker Server the other is Peer-to-peer. You didn't mention FM Server so you are doing Peer-to-Peer sharing.

For best performance the file should be on a workstation. That would act as the host. You would launch the file, then the other users would use Open Remote to connect to you...

as you can see below, your computer should be listed under Hosts. When selected the hosted files will display under Available Files. I say should because in certain situations you computer might not show in the Hosts window. In that case you will need to have the other users specify your IP address. that is done by selecting the drop down from View: Favorite Hosts. There is an add button where you can specify the IP. Hope this helps

John Morina

Pueblo System, Inc.

open remote.PNG

danielle-gwa wrote:

I have developed a complex database for the company I am working in. I am now at a stage were I want other colleagues to access the database I have created. As this is my first database created using FileMaker Pro 11, I have established myself as the main administrator user. I have also set up 4 other accounts that have full access of the database for the time being and each has the allow network sharing selected. Finally I have saved the database on our companies apple time capsule which is shared on our internet network. Each colleague can access the files on the time capsule as they are connected to our companies internet network.

If I open the database and log in, then my colleague tries to open the database from the time capsule and log in he is unable to as I am already logged in.

Can anyone help me with what i am to do next to allow all 4 of my colleagues to simultaneously access the database?

I have read that it involves allowinf the filemaker sharing port 5003 to be used by our network.

I also know our network name and airport IP address which I think is needed.

I would be very grateful for an advice as soon as possible.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
              JustinGrigg

Danielle,

Chris is 100% correct. If you set up your file on a shared drive it will get corrupted in a heatbeat. The best bet is to share it from your local computer for now. If it starts being used by more and more people then it is time to start looking at FileMaker Server. The only real drawbacks to hosting it like this is the file has to be open on your computer for others to access it. I would recommed setting up an additional desktop that you can run this file and then lock the screensaver to prevent unauthorized access. There is nothing worse that hosting it on your desktop and accidentially cllosing FileMaker when someone was working in your database. You also need to make sure that you have enabled "Access via FileMaker Network" under the users privilege set.

The tutorials Chris sent are great so you should't have a problem.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Justin G.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                danielle-gwa

Our company has 4 more FileMaker licenses. I am ready to set up the database to be shared between peers including sharing with one of our colleagues in Germany. I first need to determine the location of the database so that any of our users can log in and be the host of the database.

I am not in a situation to buy FileMaker Server (yet). I have heard very bad reviews on saving the database on a Time Capsule due to corruption of the file during sharing including this your own review. I would prefer not to have the database running on a desktop to allow access remotely as if none of our own colleagues were in the office, how would our German colleague access the database?

I wanted to ask you advice on saving the database on the icloud to allow users to access the file simultaneously therefore our colleague in Germany would be able to access the database if say none of our own colleagues were in the office to act as a host and allow him access. What are your thoughts on this? Is this possible and a safe option for the database?

danielle-gwa

• 5. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                  Malcolm

If you have a complex application then your company should obtain Filemaker Server or have it hosted by a reliable Filemaker Hosting company.

Do not use peer to peer networking.

• 6. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                    PSI

Danielle,

For peer-to-peer sharing the shouldn’t be stored on a shared drive database. It should be on the computer that hosts it. Sharing the database over the internet without FM Server will be quite slow and be a potential for corruption. If the connection to Germany drops, and it most likely will, that connection will be broken which can lock up the database. FM Server protects the files from unexpected disconnects.

If you can’t afford FM Server I would agree with Malcolm use a hosting company.

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

CCQ-FM Inc.

O: 631.549.0969

C: 516.443.0966

john@pueblo-systems.com

• 7. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                      Stephen Huston

The potential for corrupting the files or simply losing data is huge with file sharing, regardless of the location of the shared file server.

Consider this scenario with a file on a shared drive.

• Client A opens it and starts working
                      • Client B tries to open, and should get a message it's in use, so he may figure out out to log in via Open Remote to whoever is acting as Host (Client A).
                      • Client B begins editing.
                      • Client A quits/exists the FileMaker application and Client B's FileMaker automatically disconnects because his Host stopped serving the file.

All data from Client B may be lost, AND the file(s) whcih were open by B may become corrupted.

All of us who've been doing this very long have seen the results of lost data and bad files. Don't do it. It's never safe.

• 8. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                        timwhisenant

Danielle,

If FileMaker Server is beyond your budget, check out the many web hosting services available. They are the best alternative for remote access and all use good equipment, provide backup service and your database will receive the attention it needs from a Server grade deployment.

HTH

Tim

• 9. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                          JustinGrigg

Danielle,

If you tried to host it on a local computer then your network administrator would have to open port 5003 up to the Internet. The other thing you need to consider is the experience that your German colleague is going to have. I may be wrong, but I am assuming that your network is not setup for the speeds required to host services to the internet. Not only is the user going to have to deal with the Latency of connecting from Germany, but your initial connection will also work as a bottleneck. Your best bet if you don't ( or can't ) purchase FileMaker Server would be to look into server hosting. Just a quick search on Google and there are a great deal of companies that will host your solution on server grade hardware with a datacenter Internet connection for around $20.00 a month.

Hope this helps,

Justin

• 10. Re: Setting up network sharing of database.
                            keywords

Re peer-to-peer hosting, Justin said: "The only real drawbacks to hosting it like this is the file has to be open on your computer for others to access it." If only it were so simple. In fact "you" do not need to have the file open; you only have to have your computer running. Scenario:

The database is stored on Computer A.

Client A is working on Computer A, but not using FMP.

Client B opens up FMP and opens up the database, which resides on Computer B. He/she may get a warning something like (working from memory here) "You are about to become the host of a database which is not on your computer."

Client B is now the host. (The host is simply the first user to open the file.)

Subsequently Client A opens the database; he/she is now logged in as guest, in spite of the fact that the database resides on his/her computer.

If the database is multifile it could get more complex. Client A may open up a file which Client B has not yet opened that session. Now Client A is host for that file, while being guest for other files that are all part of the same system.

Messy? Too right!

Danielle, it certainly sounds like you need to get a Server arrangement in place.