1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 10:08 PM by johnhorner

Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)

johnhorner

i am wondering if there is a way to get the "send mail" icon to display in the status toolbar in preview mode (for some reason it is not included in the icons i am able to add to the toolbar when i am in preview mode... only browse mode). if this is not possible, is it possible to add my own custom icons to the toolbar? i was able to successfully use a custom menu to attach a script to the "save as pdf" button and was hoping to do the same with an email script.

also, is there a separate menu command for the "exit preview" button in the status bar? i wanted to customize this also but i didn't see it in the set of menu items (or commands) and it is not the same as the "browse mode" (command "b") menu item. any thoughts much appreciated... thanks.

john h.

• 1. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
          DavidJondreau

The Send Mail... option is only available in the File drop down in Browse mode. I'm not sure why that is, but that's what's making your button disappear.

You can sort of get around this by making a new custom menu/ submenu and running a script to handle the Send Mail. It still won't get you the button though. You can do that by picking another command that has a toolbar icon, using that as the basis for the custom menu item. Of course, the icon won't look like an e-mail, and you need to choose a command you're not using anywhere else... and don't forget that users have the control to change what icons show up on the status bar.

• 2. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
            usbc

"You can do that by picking another command that has a toolbar icon, using that as the basis for the custom menu item. Of course, the icon won't look like an e-mail..."

David, currious (never tried it) what if you used the Show-Packet-Content, Could you switch the icon of the command that you have chosen with another ? (leaving the name the same) ??

Chuck

• 3. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
              Vaughan

The status toolbar is under the control of the end user, not the developer.

You (as developer) can use custom menus to over-ride the default behaviour of native commands, as David proeviously wrote. However as developer you have no control over what appears on the user's toolbar. You can add the "email" icon to your toolbar, but that icon will not appear in other user's toolbars when they run your file.

• 4. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                johnhorner

thank you everyone for your help.

as a test, i was able to successfully assign my email script to another button in the set that is readily available to choose from (specifically, the pdf button).  however, even if i assign my email script to the "Mail..." command, it is grayed out in the menu.  however, if i uncheck the option "based on existing command", then i appears normally in the menu (not grayed out), i am able to select it, and it runs my script correctly.  so far so good... but i am still stuck at getting the mail icon.

vaughan: you mentioned that i could add the email icon the the menu bar.  while i can do this in browse mode, i still cannot figure out how to do it in preview mode.  did you just mean in browse mode?  or did you have a method for adding it to the status bar in preview mode?

alas... while it would still be nice to figure this out, the inability of the status bar to persist for all users may require me to take another approach.

basically, i am looking for a way for the user to see a document in preview mode as a final step before output (print, email, pdf, etc), yet still be able to interact with it (navigate to other pages, run various scripts primarily to adjust formatting, or select a different layout for output, etc).  back to the drawing board!

also, any thoughts on assigning a script to the "exit preview" button?

thanks again - john h.

• 5. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                  Vaughan

johnhorner wrote:

the inability of the status bar to persist for all users may require me to take another approach.

Indeed, the realisation that the status toolbar is under the control of the user, and explicitly OUT of the control of the developer, is usually a cue to find another solution for whatever the problem is.

As for a suggestion that developers be allowed to control the user's toolbar... what if every developer wanted to impress their will on the user's toobar, and the user chooses to run more than one developer's solution at the same time? What say does the user have to what appears in their toolbar? Obviously, they're not qualified.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2005/06/07/426294.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2011/04/26/10157902.aspx

• 6. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                    RayCologon

Vaughan wrote:

...As for a suggestion that developers be allowed to control the user's toolbar... what if every developer wanted their file to control the toobar, and the user chooses to use more than one solution at the same time?

Hi Vaughan,

Taking that as a serious question, I'd have to say that there would be a fairly straightforward (if entirely hypothetical) answer - the toolbar configuration would then be specific to the database and/or database window - or layout (eg as custom menus are), with the user's preference being the default for all databases (or windows) that didn't 'override' or modify it.

Presumably the 'reason' it wasn't built to work that way was in deference to OS development guidelines - and perhaps also custom and expectation WRT other end-user applications and the way(s) they behave. However it doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO, from the perspective of FileMaker as a development platform.

Cheers,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 7. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                      johnhorner

vaughan, thanks or the comedic interlude and the blog links... interesting discussion.  but i think i would have to agree with ray that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me... especially in light of the fact that the developer already has the ability to control the menus and  the commands within them.  the items capable of being placed in the status bar seem to fall less into a user preference category and more into some thing more structural, functional or programmatic in nature.

but not to get too far off track, this still leaves the original 2 questions unanswered:

1: is there a way to get the mail icon (or a custom icon) into the preview status bar?  (it sounded like chuck might have come up with an idea for a workaround and vaughan seemed to indicate that it was possible without a workaround?)

2: is there a way to customize the "exit preview" button?

• 8. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                        RayCologon

johnhorner wrote:

1: is there a way to get the mail icon (or a custom icon) into the preview status bar?  (it sounded like chuck might have come up with an idea for a workaround and vaughan seemed to indicate that it was possible without a workaround?)

Hi johnhorner,

The answer is no, I'm afraid there isn't a toolbar icon or function for email, so the limited work-arounds discussed by David and Chuck aside, you need to look for other alternatives.

Meanwhile, the Exit Preview button on the Layout bar doesn't correspond to any of the menus in the overhead menu system, so AFAIK there is no way to change it's behavior directly.

However, one alternative you could consider, is to change the behavior of the Preview Mode command on the View menu, to have it hide the Status Toolbar and provide a control 'palette' of your own design (which can be made to resemble the design of the native toolbar if you wish).

If that's something that may be of interest, you'll find a (now rather ancient) demo of a technique that can be used to achieve something similar at:

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/demos7/demo704.html

The demo pre-dates the advent of custom menus, harking all the way back to FileMaker 7, but the basis is there and if you're interested you'd likely be able to adapt the concept to your requirements.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 9. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                          Vaughan

johnhorner wrote:

One of the layout-based triggers related to Mode (onModeEnter, onModeExit) will provide a suitable hook to do something useful.

• 10. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                            johnhorner

ray, thanks for the link... that will accomplish what i am trying to do.  i will have to study a bit more to really understand what is happening behind the scene and to adapt it to my situation, but the functionality is along the lines of what i had in mind.  am i correct that this approach is not adaptable to the go environment because only 1 window is viewable at a time?  have you (or has anyone) come up with an equivalent solution to this problem (i.e. user input in preview mode) for go?

i am wanting to implement this mostly to give the user the ability to "re-format" letters, estimates, invoices, etc, so that in a multi-page situation if, for example, a letter is just long enough to push the signature by itself to the last page, the user will see this on their way to generating output, and be able to take an action (condense or expand line spacing, or insert empty lines, as needed to pull the extraneous lines back onto the previous page and shorten the document, or stretch it out pushing enough additional data onto the last page so that a signature or invoice total is not "orphaned").

anyway, thanks to all for answers, advice, entertainment ("they're not qualified"), tips, and demos.

• 11. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                              Vaughan

johnhorner wrote:

am i correct that this approach is not adaptable to the go environment because only 1 window is viewable at a time?  have you (or has anyone) come up with an equivalent solution to this problem (i.e. user input in preview mode) for go?

FM Go does not have a preview mode. Probably the only option (haven't done printing in Go yet) would be to export the pdf to the ttemp folder and open it for the user to see how it looks (and maybe they just print it form the pdf preview).

• 12. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                                johnhorner

thanks vaughan... i didn't realize that about go... at least that's one less thing i have to worry about!

• 13. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                                  DavidJondreau

The simplest way to incorporate a Send Mail ability in Preview, and in FMGO is to use the native Manage Scripts drop down. Make your Send Mail script visible and it's accessible to everyone in any mode.

• 14. Re: Customizing the Status Toolbar in Preview Mode (esp.... Send Mail)
                                    johnhorner

hi david,

that had not occurred to me before as an option so i apreciate the suggestion.  for this particular solution is is probably not the way i would go for a couple reasons.  with the exception of the functionality that is the basis for this discussion, i don't give the user access to the status toolbar (and based on what i have learned from everyone's responses, i will not be using the status toolbar even for this but rather ray's floating nav bar).  i try to make the solution "self-contained" for lack of a better word, meaning that the user should be able to accomplish virtually everything they need to accomplish from within the window itself.  similarly, i use a menu set with minimal menus, and minimal menu items, and would prefer to avoid adding the "manage scripts" menu set.  especially since i can get the send mail script to work from a context the user would already expect to find it (namely, the "file" menu), that seems like a more intuitive/user-friendly place to put it.  my users are not necessarily very filemaker saavy... but again, i think that in other solutions giving the user access to certain scripts could be a useful tip... thanks!

1 2 Previous Next