8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 9:27 AM by sonjafroyen

Print to PDF in FM_GO

vcirilli

Hello,

I have a layout set up for printing to pdf that works perfect in FMP, but in FM_GO it doesn't.

Fields set to slide up are sliding to a size smaller than the contained text leaving text

missing in the PDF.

Using "Allow Page To Break Across Page Boundaries" doesn't work as it does in FMP.

The text at the page break is falling off the end of the page and some lines are duplicated

on the next page.

Anybody else experiencing problems with Print to PDF in FM_GO??

Thanks

Vincent

• 1. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
          Malcolm

On 12/02/2012, at 3:59 PM, vcirilli:

Anybody else experiencing problems with Print to PDF in FM_GO?

Yes. A part of issue here is that the fonts you have chosen are probably not available on iOS. Font substitution will be occurring. You will get better results if you setup the layout with the fonts available on iOS. If you can't do that you may also need to increase the size of the text boxes to allow for slightly larger font/line heights, etc.

There are other issues with PDF, particularly multi-page printing.

good luck,

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
            vcirilli

Malcom, thanks for responding.

I'll do as you suggested to see if I can get better results.

Vincent

• 3. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
              vcirilli

OK I tried using iOS fonts, different font sizes and field sizes, still not right.

Seems like "set slid printing" just doesn't work as expected, only so many lines will show and thats it.

Page break across boundaries does not work as it does in FMP.

Vincent

• 4. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
                Malcolm

Possibly.

The two implementations that I've done were able to be reduced to a single page output. In one case we redesigned the form. In the other we also wrote scripts to ensure that output was always going to fit within a single page.

I haven't gone back to either of them since then.

Malcolm

• 5. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
                  vcirilli

Well - I cant really limit to one page, each record can have notes that span more than a page, I usuall set it up with the notes field height

at 3 pages and use slide printing to handle the sizing.

Guess thats not going to work.

I'm adding some iPad functionality to an existing FMP solution. I might just have to go without this printout on the iPad ?

Hey thanks the input.

• 6. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
                    Malcolm

Until they get PDF capabilities right you need to look at different work flows.

One option is to create script queues for robots (or another colleague). So, instead of printing from the iPad. You run a script which says "I want to print record ID x". That is put into a queue and a robot scans the script queue looking for tasks. It discovers this job and runs the script.

Malcolm

• 7. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
                      vcirilli

Nice I'll take that into consideration!

• 8. Re: Print to PDF in FM_GO
                        sonjafroyen

I'm frustrated by the same issue. As a work-around, I created a separate layout for printing in GO. On that layout I'm using fields created specifically for printing in GO. The fields are calcuations that append an extra paragraph return AND A SPACE - doesn't work without the space.