1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 10:31 AM by properlysorted

Type ahead in 11

barenose

I've posted this question before nad have not received a satisfactory answer. Since I upgraded to FMP11 I've lost the ability to type ahead in drop down list made of two fields, i.e. ID number and name. The list is sorted by the second field. Since this value list is crucial to the solution, is there any way I can get around this bug other than scripting a find and insert?

• 1. Re: Type ahead in 11
          Vaughan

What version did you upgrade from?

• 2. Re: Type ahead in 11
            karendweaver

Hi

You don't say anything about the operating system you are using.  Is this solution on a server?  local or remote?

I have seen this issue many times.  There are several possible causes.

First, there may be a problem with the indexing in one or both fields.  You can try resetting the indexing in both fields.

Other problems that may occur:

*  databases where the popup list is extremely large (more than a few dozen items) can be very slow to load up the first time the popup is used.  Subsequent entries generally work fine.  Popup lists are really not designed for extremely large lists of hundreds of items.  If this is the issue, you really should look at a different method of selection.

*  remote servers combined with long lists - the first time you use a popup, all that data has to download to the client, and the popup list can be almost unresponsive.  Again - the solution is a different selection method.

Hope this helps,

Karen

• 3. Re: Type ahead in 11
              barenose

FMP10…I've been upgrading all along.

All the best,

JB

https://www.facebook.com/LegalED

• 4. Re: Type ahead in 11
                barenose

This happens both locally and on the server.

The lists work fine in FMP10 and earlier. Indexing is not the problem.

All the best,

JB

• 5. Re: Type ahead in 11
                  jormond

What happens if you make a clone ( no data ) of the file and import the data for the Value List?  Does it work in 11 then?

• 6. Re: Type ahead in 11
                    beverly

barenose,

Can you post a link to the other thread(s), so that we may see what was answered that you found "not satisfactory"?

You have to look at everything being EQUAL between the two versions. Same formatting on the layout? Same options in the valuelist dialog? etc.

Beverly

• 7. Re: Type ahead in 11
                      Stephen Huston

Hi JB,

I suspect Karen hit on the basic problem regarding caching of the data. ALL of the records from the source table have to download for the list to be populated the first time in a session that you enter a popup menu list field.

This can cause the field to fail to populate with a list for quite a few seconds, depending on your connection and number of records used to generate the list.

If this is a relation-filtered list, it also has to resolve the possible relationships across all records.

The result is that such lists, the first time triggered in a session, can take 5, 10, 30 seconds or longer, especially with slow or WAN connections. Filtered lists can take minutes if the connection is slow and the data source large or consisiting of a wide table (many fields).

Relationship filtered lists can stay slow even later in the session as the relationship gets resolved as you change records.

Can you give us some ideas re your connection speed, and the  record count and field count of the table from which you are pulling this list?

Stephen Huston

• 8. Re: Type ahead in 11
                        jormond

JB,

If I understand correctly, you can access the list right now with 10 or earlier and it works fine.  But if you try the same thing in 11, the type ahead is not working.  Correct?

I'm trying to replicate, but everything is working fine for me.

• 9. Re: Type ahead in 11
                          barenose

The value list is made of two fields, and ID number and a name. Can't 

do an import.

Thanks,

All the best,

JB

• 10. Re: Type ahead in 11
                            barenose

Everything is the same. The only difference is the version of FileMaker.

All the best,

JB

• 11. Re: Type ahead in 11
                              barenose

Hi Stephen,

It isn't the speed of download. I can go back to the field after 10 

minutes and it doesn't work.

The list is two fields, an ID and a name field. The bug doesn't affect 

all value lists…it seems only to affect those that are made up of two 

fields. The record count is about 500 records, the field count is 

about 200, on the layout, maybe 20 fields.

This example has no relationships involved, the fields are in the same 

table. The same thing happens on a local copy of the file as on a 

served copy.

Thanks,

All the best,

JB

• 12. Re: Type ahead in 11
                                barenose

Hi Joshua,

You have it right.

All the best,

JB

• 13. Re: Type ahead in 11
                                  jormond

You can make the clone, and import the values into the tables that make up the Value List.

barenose wrote:

The value list is made of two fields, and ID number and a name. Can't 

do an import.

Thanks,

All the best,

JB

What do you see if you enter the field hit ctrl+i ( don't know the mac keys )?  I vaguely remember someone mentioning a few minor differences in the index between 10 and 11...but I might be cracking up too.

I know you said it wasn't the index...but can you open the field definition and turn off indexing. Close out of the Manage Database...and go back in and turn it back on.  Or have you already done that?

Does there happen to be any special characters in either the data or the FieldNames?

• 14. Re: Type ahead in 11
                                    Stephen Huston

To recap:

Doesn't matter whether the file is local or served, the only difference is the version of FM being used to access it. 11 fails, and 10 works, even after 11 fails?

If that's all so, then Joshua's recommendation to reindex the fields us FM 11 is a likely solution.

The other idea would be a clean install of FM 11 where it's been failling. (But if its been failing on multiple computers, a reinstall is probably not going to make any difference as it's unlikely all the installs are problematic. And it's not the server version because same issue arises if the file is local.)

If reindexing with FM 11 doesn't cure it, let us know your OS details and exactly what you mean by "type ahead" not working. I have seen instances where the Value List populated but selection by typing didn't jump down the list depending on the OS version and platform. That's a different issue than the list failing to populate values at all.

1 2 Previous Next