11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 5:58 PM by stephensexton

Close Window script step crashing FM

Datastudio

Hi,

we have recently come to same issue as on this link?

Does anyone have same problem?

Regards

• 1. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
          Stephen Huston

Your posting elsewhere states:

• Over the last year a script in another file has made FMP crash erratically on Windows XP. Luckily(!) recently we found that it crashes consistently on Windows 7. It crashed FileMaker Advanced 11 in normal mode but not while debugging. By placing dialog boxes in the script, I was able to pinpoint the rotten script line, a Close Window ( CurrentWindow ), some 7 script steps before FMP crashed. And here too the crash did not occur till after the script did everything it had to do and had finished.
          • Disabling this script step helped, but inserting a fresh Close Window before or after the disabled step made the crashing return. In this case it was possible to replace the whole New Window part with a layout switch. That helped. But for how long?
          • The questions are: (1) what could be the cause of these problems, so how can we prevent them? And (2): are there ways to get rid of the problems when they occur?

Keep in mind that prior to version 7, FileMaker was more forgiving about errors in Window selection. In recent versions, scripts try to end in the same window from which they were called unless a specific other window has been "Selected" within the script.

Try selecting the window by name that you want the script to continue within, and then close the window you no longer want open with the Close Window step but specifying the name of the window to close.

Keep in mind that you script steps after the window change need to be compatible with the window contents where they will be executed, proper base table, etc.

For future reference, be very sure that when you Select Window or Close window, you also control where this lands you so that any remaining script steps can execute properly. I have even seen GTRR steps fail in converted files due to inadequate window selection info, both as GTRR button actions (single script step) and within scripts intended to run acorss multiple files.

• 2. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
            Datastudio

I did not give enough information about this error. This error occur only on Windows systems on Mac it works without problems. Also if we put button with only close window script step directly on layout it also crashes. We tried to reinstall system on every machine that had this problem .... without success. We removed all plugins and it did not help. All systems have the latest version of FileMaker 11 installed. We were testing 11 Mac and 12 Windows computers.

We have contacted few other developers and came to conclusion that our case is not the only one.

So....does anyone have any idea what else can we try?

• 3. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
              MattLeach

Im currently running a database hosted on FMSA11 running in a network of 20+ windows 7 workstations both 32 and 64 bit and cannot duplicate the issue.

I did not see a response to Stephen's question above:

"Try selecting the window by name that you want the script to continue within, and then close the window you no longer want open with the Close Window step but specifying the name of the window to close."

All of my "Close Window" steps are specified by name. Not sure if it will make a difference or not.

• 4. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                Datastudio

I did not respond to Stephen's question bacause currently I can not make changes to the database. I will try tomorrow and report the results.

Thanks for now.

• 5. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                  BruceHerbach

Hi

At this point the concerne I have,  does the database have some corruption?  If so it may explain the issue.

I would take a copy of the file and run the copy through the recover process and see what it reports.

HTH

Bruce

• 6. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                    Stephen Huston

Excellent idea in light of the numerous crashes known to be happening.

Even if corruption was not the cause of the crashes, it could become an issue after repeated crashes.

• 7. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                      Datastudio

We have tried the suggestion from Stephen but App still crashes on some windows machines.

Bruce: Database has no corruptions also after every crash we used a backup file.

Also database works without any problems on Mac systems and on some Windows machines.

Only thing which comes to my mind is maybe issue with java update but also some windows machines had it and database works ok.

• 8. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                        Stephen Huston

So it still crashes on some Windows systems but not all Windows, ad is OK on Mac. The problem may be more to do with the OS than with the FM file in taht case.

Check that any Win machine with the problem is fully up-to-date on system updates and meets all hardware/software requirements for the version of FM you are running.

Have you updated all of the problematic Win-machines to the latest rev/update of FileMaker.

Let us know if you still have the problem on any OS that is fully up-to-date both for the OS and with the latest rev of FM11 and the latest rev of FMServer11 running the files, and where the hard-/software meets all FM11 minimums. Please provide the OS details in that case as well.

It really sounds like we are down to FM11 playing nice with specific machine(s) rather than a FM bug.

• 9. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                          Datastudio

Hi,

this was the first thing we checked. All machines are same with i5 processors. We have also reinstalled operation systems and still no luck. We also changed RAM modules. Very strange....

• 10. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                            Stephen Huston

Is there a chance the misbehaving Win-machines all came from the same manufacturer? I recall some experiences back some time ago where every Dell computer with one version fo Windows included a driver for their registration system that conflicted the then-current version of FM. Removing the offending driver after the machine was registered solved the problem.

That was along time ago, but the message here is do the offending computers havin anything in common with each other that the well-behaved computers don't share?

Hardware, supplier, hard to guess where-all to look, but anything common to just those might be an important clue.

Or not.

• 11. Re: Close Window script step crashing FM
                              stephensexton

I have had a similar issue with a client, both with FMPro11 and recently FMPro12, using Windows7, and found this thread very useful with the troubleshooting...

ISSUES:

1. FileMaker crashes when switching from LayoutX to any other layout

2. FileMaker crashes when performing a function on LayoutX, which involves GTRR offscreen in new window followed by closing of that window

3. FileMaker crashes on some occasions also when switching to layout mode while on LayoutX

SOLUTION:

It appeared that removing a close window script step at the end of the involved scripts helped a little, but there were still some (less consistent) crashes.

BUT... removing a small hidden webviewer on LayoutX and also its helper window (used in the GTRR step) has so far stopped FileMaker crashing (after repeated attempts to reproduce the crash).  It appears that FileMaker was crashing whenever moving away from a layout with a webviewer placed on it.  This included using the windows 'close window' icon or my own close window icon pasted on the layout, or switching to another layout.  Unfortunately for the timebeing I am stuck with using an "Open URL" script step instead of "Set WebViewer" with that client's file.... not ideal! but hopefully a resolution will come our way with the next FM update?