6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 8:00 AM by pashtech

Visualization of Related Data

pashtech

I am at a small independent school that uses FM for much of its day-to-day. Because of the faculty's familiarity with the interface, we are trying to use FM for curriculum mapping. Here's what it looks like:

PACMapS.jpg

So most of the time, teachers are inputting or viewing Unit records, with related Activities, Questions, Skills, etc.

My issue is that we'd like very much to be able to visualize some of these data. For instance, when looking at all Math units, a pie chart showing the spread of Assessments (% doing Multiple choice, % doing projects).

So far, it seems like FM's built-in charts don't like to play very well with related records. When I attempt to create a pie chart for a single Unit's Assessment's, I am at a loss for how to make a reasonable set of labels. If I just choose the related records, if there are two "Essay" entries, it will count both of them, giving each an equal share of the pie.

I can go into more detail if need be, but I'm hoping I have missed something simple that's evident at this point. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Visualization of Related Data
          comment

Do you mean you want the chart to summarize related records by a category? This is not really a charting issue; you will have the same problem if you want to show the individual summary values in the parent record.

The simple solution is to go to the child table and do the report/chart from there.

• 2. Re: Visualization of Related Data
            pashtech

I have attempted doing the chart from the child table. The issue remains that the charting function seeks to compare one numeric field in a record to another numeric field. Or, across related records, sets of them. These charts would result from a set of values (Types of Assessments, for example) against a subsummary or a FoundCount, I believe.

So in more concrete terms, I'm looking at a set of Assessments that are related to Units with the Subject "Math." I want to do a pie chart of the distribution of Assessment Types in this set. My Assessments table has an AssessmentType field that is filled from a value list. It seems to me that FM has no way of making the pie chart—or any other chart for that matter—use a set of values as labels and a count of each occurrence of that value as the dependent variable in the chart.

My apologies if this is just obtuse on my part, but I am beginning to suspect that this might require a solution outside of FM.

• 3. Re: Visualization of Related Data
              comment

pashtech wrote:

I'm looking at a set of Assessments that are related to Units with the Subject "Math." I want to do a pie chart of the distribution of Assessment Types in this set.

Would this work for you?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Visualization of Related Data
                Stephen Huston

Idea:

It sounds like your chart needs to be showing the results of some calculations against the related records:

• Count ( List ( PatternCount ( Relation:targetfield ; text to count ) ) ) [top of my head -- check the functions carefully before using]
                • with similar calcs for each text-field-result you want to track.
                • Each should return the number or related records containing the target value, and you can plot those results in the graph.

You can build these calcs right into the graph setup rather than needing calc fields in the table(s).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Visualization of Related Data
                  skywillmott

Hi there,

I read through the Introduction to Charting Guide on the FileMaker site: http://help.filemaker.com/ci/fattach/get/21300/1268417531/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI5Mjk2MDU5L3NpZC9aZlBMUEtRaw==

Near the end, in the 'Charting Examples' section there is an example very similar to what you are trying to do....

I've attached the file I built using the guide as a reference... It is very similar to what Michael Horak posted...., though my chart oprens in a new window

Essentially, it depends on a summary field in the child table, and the chart being placed in a header or summary layout part, and the records being sorted by the data you want to summarise...

All the best,

Sky.

• 6. Re: Visualization of Related Data
                    pashtech

Everyone,

These were all extremely helpful. Sky's solution looks like the most directly viable, but everything here definitely improved my skills with the charting and summaries. Thank you very much.