2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 4:48 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Very odd problem with sending mail

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. We're having an extremely weird problem with sending mail via client from FileMaker through Lotus Notes. I have one particular machine (Windows XP) that is accepting the mail, populating the email body and subject line, but failing to populate the To: and cc: fields.

Every other client running this solution works fine. Sending mail from Internet Exploder or Word on this machine seems to work fine. Reinstalls of FileMaker or IE (as suggested by Notes support) have no effect.

The To: field comes from a related table, and does show up on the layout (i.e., the user has access to the data). The cc: field comes from a literal text string. This used to work for this user before she got a new computer; then it started flaking out.

Details:

FileMaker 11

Windows XP

Lotus Notes 8.5

Any ideas?

Mike

• 1. Re: Very odd problem with sending mail
          BowdenData

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

...problem with sending mail via client from FileMaker through Lotus Notes. I have one particular machine (Windows XP) that is accepting the mail, populating the email body and subject line, but failing to populate the To: and cc: fields.

Mike,

Can't offer a direct solution, but have an idea. If you have Active Directory at the location, the user with the problem should be able to log into a PC that is working okay. Does it work in this scenario? You can reverse this if you are curious and have a user who is okay log into the PC that is not working and see what happens. If the person with the problem is okay on another machine, then I would compare (between the machines) the various ".ini" files that Notes uses. Might also be worth comparing the Registry's looking for any entries that relate to Notes.

A client I work with has the same environment that you describe. Have not seen your problem, but moderately often do have a problem where Notes is not registered properly as the default mail client. When this is the case, using the Send Mail command in FM results in nothing happening. Setting Notes as the mail client in the Internet Options control panel has no effect. In every case, the fix has been to re-image the PC completely. The client's IT department has tried to troubleshoot this, but have not been able to track it down except to tell me that it is "something in the registry". They can re-image a PC pretty quickly, so that is what they do.

HTH.

Doug de Stwolinska

• 2. Re: Very odd problem with sending mail
            Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, Doug. "Something in the registry" is about where I was.   

I'll see if we can give the "log in as another user" a try. Notes isn't simple to set up, but I'll try to arrange it with the user.

Mike