11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 2:35 PM by kevork

Sliding a Portal when Printing

gawendt

This seems like a simple solution should exist but I can't find it. I am printing a report with Portals in it and I would like the Portal to slide up to remove the blank space. I have to set the portal size to cover all possibilities so it has ten rows but often I have fewer records. I set the Portal and the fields in the Portal to slide up based on objects above as the report is in columns but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong??

• 1. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
          DavidZakary

Whenever possible - do not try to print portals. Always go to the related records, with the child table as the basis for the layout and print in a list view. It'll be much easier to work with. Sliding and shrinking portals will not work.

If working with the child table is not possible, create a field in the child table that concatenates each field in the row. Then in the parent table create a calculated field that uses the List function to create a return deliminated list of all of the child records. You can then place this on a layout. This field will slide and shrink. It comes with caveats though - you'll have to put tab characters in the calculation to space things apart, formatting is more difficult, not editable, etc. It is not an overly elegant solution, but can be made to work in a pinch.

Going to the child table occurance is the best solution.

• 2. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
            beverly

Did I read that correctly? you have a portal in a COLUMN? how many columns on the report?

• 3. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
              gawendt

Beverly,

There are two columns.

Greg

• 4. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                comment

A portal set to slide up should not be showing any empty rows in Preview mode or when printing. It doesn't matter if the layout is set to print in columns or not - although obviously there will be less space saved if you are printing 'Across first'.

• 5. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                  beverly

Michael's correct. I also think we all believe that if we use the "two columns" in FileMaker we achieve what modern word processing apps can do: text flow - any sliding on the first column will go to the end of the column and FLOW to the top of the next column. Sorry, won't happen.

Beverly

• 6. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                    danemcg

Make sure that all the fields in the portal are also set to slide up/reduce size, not just the portal itself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                      comment

danemcg wrote:

Make sure that all the fields in the portal are also set to slide up/reduce size, not just the portal itself.

Why? What will happen if they aren't?

• 8. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                        gcatnine

Are there other fields in the layout? Because if there are other fields below the portal, you have to set the to slide up based on objects above

The sliding works well, but it is unable to split the printing between the two columns as it does between two pages

• 9. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                          kevork

I am confused. gcatnine David Horak and danemcg imply that portals can slide yet Beverley Voth and DavidZakary imply that either it does not or is too difficult. I tried what was recommended - made sure that all objects in the portal were sliding. But in Preview mode, the only record that shows is the first one, beautifully shrunk to wrap around only filled rows but no other records. Gawendt , did you eventually get it to work?

• 10. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                            gawendt

I got this to work but my portals were in columns.  The report I had was in two columns with portals in each.  There is a bit of technique in choosing skiing base on just what is above or everything above.  I found you had to play with this setting to get everything to slide.  As for the portals showing every record that matched, I never had a problem with this.

Hope this helps

• 11. Re: Sliding a Portal when Printing
                              kevork

I got it to work too, just realised that the reason for seeing only the first record was that the portal contents filled one pager. Other pages showed more than one record. So we have evidence, you CAN make sliding portals.