5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 1:44 AM by Malcolm

Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10

dcwells

Hello,

I am working on creating a database to help create streaming media project. In the database, the user will upload a text file into a project with slide titles and times marking slide changes. Within the project, seperate presentations can be created. For example, the project may include 50 slides and last one hour. But, a presentation may only include 10 of those slides and last for 10 minutes. So, presentation two may start at 5:00 minutes and have slides 10 through 15. I am trying to make it so you can select the presentation from the project and go to a seperate form that displays just the slides for that presentation. I have all this working by having different relationships in the database and displayed on a form that has the presentation information and a portal with the slide information limited by the start and end time of the presentation. I am trying to make two changes that have me stumped. One, I want to display the slide before the start time. This way, if the slide has changed before the speakers starts, it is not cut out and can be adjusted to start with the presentation. Two, I want to adjust the times to display the slide times related to the presentation time - so if the presentation starts in the project at 5:00 and slide two is at 6:15, it is displayed on this page as starting at 1:15. This will allow the user to set the first slide to start at 00:00 (which would be 5:00 in the project). I am not a skilled Filemaker user so any help would be apprectiated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10
          LyndsayHowarth

I think the slide showing might require a bit of trickery in the form of another field containing a still image of the starting slide sitting on top of the first slide for each presentation... This is only a guess... and only necessary if the slide does not have a built in stop-point.

A stop point could be calculated by a cumulative summary total time... based on the data entered if that data is length of clip... it is a bit hard to know as I don't know what raw data is being entered... and what is calculated.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10
            comment

dcwells wrote:

Two, I want to adjust the times to display the slide times related to the presentation time - so if the presentation starts in the project at 5:00 and slide two is at 6:15, it is displayed on this page as starting at 1:15.

You need to subtract the start time of the first slide from all start times. It's difficult to be more specific when all we know is that:

dcwells wrote:

I have all this working by having different relationships in the database

This also applies to your first question. Obviously, if your current relationship shows slides 15 - 25, you will need another relationship to show slide 14. 

• 3. Re: Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10
              dcwells

I have most issues worked out now, but is it possible to conditionaly format a portal?  I would like to have fields between certain values change color.

thanks,

• 4. Re: Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10
                stefan_s

Hi dcwells,

The fields in the portal can be formatted using conditional formatting just like any other fields.

The porta itself, cannot be formatted this way, though.

Hope this helps,

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

dcwells kirjoitti 27.2.2012 kello 8.55:

created by dcwells in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

I have most issues worked out now, but is it possible to conditionaly format a portal?  I would like to have fields between certain values change color.

thanks,

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 • Miami, Florida • July 16-18 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 5. Re: Filtering Portal in Filemaker 10
                  Malcolm

Use conditional formatting on the field. You can stack the conditions.

Self < 0 // red

Self = 0 // white

Self > 0  // black

The last equation to evaluate as true wins.

Malcolm