3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 3:06 PM by sporobolus

Cannot search for threads - keep finding individual posts?

When I search, I keep finding individual posts that appear to be from a thread but can find no way to go to the thread and see all replies. This is very frustrating. Please help.

• 1. Re: Cannot search for threads - keep finding individual posts?
          sporobolus

on 2012-02-16 10:53 wildcatherder wrote

When I search, I keep finding individual posts that appear to be from a thread but can find no way to go to the thread and see all replies.  This is very frustrating.  Please help.

(note that there are separate sections of the forum for problem reports,

feature requests, etc.)

the crux of the problem is that the archived threads (pre-Fall 2011) are not

actually stored as threads, so once you find a "post" you can't easily navigate

to the rest of the thread

we were told that this was the best FMI could do; i made a suggestion for a

workaround, but never got any feedback from the site maintainers; a cruder

workaround we can implement ourselves is that once we find one post in a

thread, we can then search on the title of the thread; that search will then

tend to show you all the posts in the target thread, but not in any particular

order, and other threads may still be mixed in ...

• 2. Re: Cannot search for threads - keep finding individual posts?

Yikes!

Thanks for the quick response.

I must say this news will make me more likely to look elsewhere for solutions first.  It is good to know that if I am willing to search the individual posts by the common title that I can still find information here.

Please note: when I received email notification of your post, in the text it states that I can reply to the email message or post a reply here.  In fact, I was NOT able to reply to the email.  I immediately received a notice that my message could NOT be delivered.

• 3. Re: Cannot search for threads - keep finding individual posts?
              sporobolus

on 2012-02-16 12:58 wildcatherder wrote

Please note: when I received email notification of your post, in the text it states that I can reply to the email message or post a reply here.  In fact, I was NOT able to reply to the email.  I immediately received a notice that my message could NOT be delivered.

the site's email functions work most of the time, assuming you can remember

what not to do; the most common reason for the behavior you describe is

sending your reply email from a different address than the one registered on

the Developer Forum site; also, there is a special reply address for every message

that said, i've had a couple of few emails bounced with no explanation ...