AnsweredAssumed Answered

Newbie trying to work with SQL Server

Question asked by glyoung on Feb 17, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 by glyoung

I come from a database background using SQL Server. We have been directed to try to create applications using Filemaker Pro with SQL as the back end. I have a main table with a unique number that auto increments (via SQL) and therefore is of course considered not modifiable in the Filemaker Pro database. I have a layout where I’m showing all of the information about the location and this unique number is at the top. I want the users to be able to drop down this box (I have set it up as a value list) and when they choose a new number, it will trigger that the information will change based up on the number. The users will not have access to the find option in the toolbar, so I am trying to do this with a script trigger.

When the user goes to the drop down box and choose the unique number they want, I expect all of the data below to change based upon this number. When I test this out I get the error "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable." That makes sense if I was wanting to change that unique number for that specific record, but that's not what I'm trying to do.

How can I make it so that when I choose this drop down box it will update the other data? I have tried making a Filemaker table and having it get the data from SQL for just the number but that doesn't seem to work either.

Outcomes