4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 7:06 AM by comment

how to create terms

yildirim1642

Hi,

I am creating a program to use a dormitory and administration wants to keep students' records in terms. For example, for students they want to keep students' personal data and in addition they want to keep students' school lesson scores. I made these for one year but the administration wants to keep students' school lesson scores for four years. So, i am not sure how to make terms to keep lesson scores. i hope i can find an answer.

• 1. Re: how to create terms
          beverly

create the fields 'year' and 'term' in your table of 'scores'. relate to the table of 'students' (personal data). you can FIND by these fields, you can SORT by these fields and you can FILTER (a portal) using these fields. Also more than likely, you'll have a table of 'classes' as each 'score' would relate to a class and a student.

STUDENTS (personal information)

\

SCORES (also often called registration, as a join between student and class)

/

CLASSES

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to create terms
            yildirim1642

Thanks for helping.

I have one more problem, they were using excel to keep records. So, when they wanted to see records for a year, they just see that year's record not all years records. So, they wanted this. With your method how can we do that?

• 3. Re: how to create terms
              beverly

in Filemaker you can create a report (and even export to EXCEL!) by first finding the records where year = (whatever you specify). Sort by student or class or student and class. Print. Export.

I suggest you study the basic on creating a layout report. It's pretty easy to use the wizard to help set up a report layout and even create a script for you.

Beverly

• 4. Re: how to create terms
                comment

Another option is to have a global  field in the Students table where they can select the year to view. Then you can show the selected year's scores either by filtering the portal to Scores or through a relationship matching on both StudentID and Year.