2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 6:55 AM by beverly

IWP , Home vs Author Page

fiddy

I have a client that inventories hundreds pieces of equipment. My client wanted me to develop a method where the potential customer would be able to go to a list to quickly find if a specific piece is available without having to look though the entire lot of pictures. I originally thought of developing a database using IWP to catalog the equipment and show the pictures. This would generate a database that had hundreds of pages. My conclusion was it would be huge and slow to access as I am only using a Mac mini server to store the data. Instead I designed a web site using Apple I web where I used the photo page to display the equipment while also having the ability to do a slide show. To shorten the search time I designed a database with filemaker 11 housed in my Mac mini server using IWP. The client goes to the web site that explains they can view a data base where they can quickly find of specific equipment is available with out viewing all of the pictures. Using a link on the web site they go to the data base after finding the equipment another link on the data base will take them back to the web site to view the selected equipment saving time and effort. The problem the link takes them to the Filemaker home page where they need to link to the entry page as a guest. The feedback is this it too confusing and is not seamless. Question is how do I get directly to the author page without first going to the home page. I tried using the address of the author page, sometimes it goes there, some times it still goes to the home page.

• 1. Re: IWP , Home vs Author Page
          milanm

Hi, i had a similar experience where clients needed to submit their details over the web and admin workers dealt with this using FileMaker Pro in the office. I was totally disappointed with the outcome of IWP. It is just a pretty story, i think, you cannot really use it for anything serious like the mentioned above. It is just not that easy (sorry to be the one that brings bad news). However, there are other better ways to integrate FileMaker Pro solution with your website. You might consider using CWP (Custom Web Publishing) methodology that would work much better for you. You might also do the web form using PHP-SQL platform and connect it with your FileMaker Pro database using ODBC driver for SQL data. I did this in my case and it works really great, people are loading the data using the website and the data is automatically processed inside the office database.

IWP, for the moment, in my opinion and experience, really does not look as an option for any kind of professional solution. I would praise anyone who would prove me wrong, it would be really cool to just have your forms done in FileMaker Pro and publish them as web pages to be used by the clients. Sounds to good to be truth. Maybe in FileMaker 12.

• 2. Re: IWP , Home vs Author Page
            beverly

You can only specify a "page" in IWP, by making the link go directly to a database with the opening script to go to a layout and perform the script. This does not allow you to pass parameters...

fiddy, do you have static pages that otherwise could be accessed with an URL? can that be a field in your database then use OPEN URL[ ] script step to get to the page?

Beverly