1 2 3 Previous Next 212 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 11:50 PM by Vaughan

Expectations for FileMaker 12

intex

Since FileMaker 12 is taking a lot of time to come, expectations of what it will achieve, rise. These are my expections or hopes:

FM Advanced is getting really "advanced":

- building runtime applications for the MacAppStore with one click

- building runtime applications for the iOS Appstore - new iOS runtime based on Filemaker GO

- fully customizable symbolsets like menu sets

- runtimes include certificates and sandboxing

FM Express

- the completely new entry level version of FileMaker

- 99.- Dollars

- sold via the AppStore for Mac

- network enabled

- feature set like FileMaker GO

FileMaker PRO 12

New Features include:

- support for iCloud

- support for fullscreen-mode in Lion

- new HTML 5 based layouts as an addition to the existing layouts

- stylesheets for layouts, sub-forms, modern input gadgets like sliders, clocks etc., hover effects

- dialogue editor

- modernized scripting (text editable as an option, all commands capable of variable handling, all commands capable of parameter handling, script steps for missing commands)

- conditional formatting extended to conditional appearance of objects

- new import/export features for email (Mail on Mac, Life Mail on Windows, vcard, vcal, Numbers incl. synchronization of mails, addresses and calendars - much like in Bento, but crossplatform)

• 1. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
          Oliver_Reid

Is this dscussion OK under the non disclosure agreements most of us have signed?

• 2. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
            intex

I am only talking about my expectations - no NDA can forbid me having a dream.

• 3. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
              timwhisenant

Oliver,

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but the NDA simply means that we cannot discuss any information received from FMI relative to any product prior to its release to the public. We can and do have our own wish list of features, with a strong desire for them to make the cut. Sharing such a wish list is acceptable and many times encouraged.

Share on,

Tim

• 4. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                Oliver_Reid

Will leave it to FMI to adjudicate

But if you are under NDA (I am not even saying I am as even revealing that

might be a violation) then I don't think you should participate ‹ as almost

any comment would shaded by what what you know.

Reply-To:  <fmi-183682729-20u-2-1j10@fmdev.filemaker.com>

Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:46:59 -0800

To:  Oliver Reid <oreid@firstgm.com>

Subject:  Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa>

created by timwhisenant <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/timwhisenant>

in General - View the full discussion

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/71316#71316>

Oliver, Others can correct me if I am wrong, but the NDA simply means that

we cannot discuss any information received from FMI relative to any product

prior to its release to the public. We can and do have our own wish list of

features, with a strong desire for them to make the cut. Sharing such a wish

list is acceptable and many times encouraged.    Share on, Tim

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

FileMaker Technical Network

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/71316#71316> Start a new discussion in

General by email

<mailto:discussions-community-discuss-general@fmdev.filemaker.com>  or at

FileMaker Technical Network

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&conta

inerType=14&container=2027>

Manage your email preferences

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa/user-notification-preferences!input.

jspa> .

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 € Miami, Florida € July 16-18 €

www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 5. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                  deninger

I may or may not be under NDA (actually I don't even know) but I find it frustrating that the trending topics section of the home page have listed "Beta Feedback" in the largest typeface (meaning that it is a very popular topic) for a long long time. Clilcking the link takes you to a screen that states that there are no topics with this keyword.

SO....

If you want to discuss the Beta (assuming it actually exists), you either do it in the provided (and inaccessible to the general population) area(s) or do like intex did, and speculate / wish.

My wish for FM 12? That it gets released soon.

• 6. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                    sporobolus

on 2012-02-22 09:37 deninger wrote

but I find it frustrating that the trending topics section of the home page have listed "Beta Feedback" in the largest typeface (meaning that it is a very popular topic) for a long long time. Clilcking the link takes you to a screen that states that there are no topics with this keyword.

that's different "beta" — there was a beta test phase for this forum last fall

(not for FileMaker Pro) during which that tag was used a lot; the messages

posted during the beta are no longer accessible, but the forum software seems

to still be tracking the tag

so it's a "popular tag" the way the forum software looks at it, but it's not a

"trending topic" at all (i've seen tag clouds with much better algorithms for

"hotness" than the one used here)

• 7. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                      jormond

I would like the ability to program OS specific commands, regardless of the platform I am developing on.

For example, scripting an AppleScript step while developing on Windows.  I know I can't test it on Windows, but at least I can write it and test it later.

• 8. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                        ibrahim_bittar

Hi intex

FM Advanced is getting really "advanced":

- building runtime applications for the MacAppStore with one click

- building runtime applications for the iOS Appstore - new iOS runtime based on Filemaker GO

- fully customizable symbolsets like menu sets

- runtimes include certificates and sandboxing

I guess those will come for FM15

FM Express

- the completely new entry level version of FileMaker

- 99.- Dollars

- sold via the AppStore for Mac

- network enabled

- feature set like FileMaker GO

Join the SBA program and you'll get FMPro for $99. There is no need for an entry level version of FMPro.

FileMaker PRO 12

New Features include:

- support for iCloud

Do you mean hosting a file in iCloud?. You'd need to be able to setup a server, then FileMaker Server, then your solution. You can now do this using any Virtual Server vendor. I use www.vps.net and I'm very happy.

- support for fullscreen-mode in Lion

Agreed.

Remember that the biggest chunk of FM buyers are non-developers. It's regular people who create their own solutions. Now imagine a Florist Shop owner learning HTML5...

- stylesheets for layouts, sub-forms, modern input gadgets like sliders, clocks etc., hover effects

That sounds nice.

- dialogue editor

Yes please!

- modernized scripting (text editable as an option, all commands capable of variable handling, all commands capable of parameter handling, script steps for missing commands)

Agreed

- conditional formatting extended to conditional appearance of objects

Yes, including number formatting.

- new import/export features for email (Mail on Mac, Life Mail on Windows, vcard, vcal, Numbers incl. synchronization of mails, addresses and calendars - much like in Bento, but crossplatform)

There are ways to do this programatically.

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 9. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                          intex

Hi Ibrahim,

Join the SBA program and you'll get FMPro for $99. There is no need for an entry level version of FMPro.

Having to buy 50 licenses in advance is not an option, if the alternative could be a FM GO for the desktop bought by the user himself. Especially as long as FM offers FM Pro for the half price with which you can never compete.

there could be a mix of a wysiwyg editor like Rapidweaver Styled Text Page plus a source code view for programmers

Do you mean hosting a file in iCloud?. You'd need to be able to setup a server, then FileMaker Server, then your solution. You can now do this using any Virtual Server vendor. I use www.vps.net and I'm very happy.

iCloud or any different cloud is not an alternative to a Server solution - it should be just the ability to synchronize a database between different installations. More and more people not only have one computer, they have a desktop, a notebook and often an iPhone and an iPad. They want to use the same data everywhere and synchronizing the whole database file is often too slow.

• 10. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                            ibrahim_bittar

You have to buy only 10.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 11. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                              intex

maybe I am wrong, but as I know here in Germany it is 50 copies

• 12. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                                brsamuel

I would REALLY like to be able to determine a table's current sort order, not just IF a table is sorted.

• 13. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12

I hold no great expectations when it comes to FileMaker ... I would just like them to fix the 70-or-so still-outstanding bugs that they have now.  And I would like them to add Developer controls to the Status bar so we can actually risk using it.  

Heck, they still haven't fixed the Inspector Object Info boxes so they select when clicking into them nor can we get them to set a layout default to NOT show field frames when active - things we have been begging for for years (and all simple fixes on their end).

Too many years of dreaming what the next version will bring ... to many years of repeated disappointment.  I accept FM now as it is and I expect NOTHING and I am happier for it.

• 14. Re: Expectations for FileMaker 12
                                    intex

That sounds sad. I had the same feelings in the past, too. But on the other hand, FileMaker slowly, but constantly got better. Maybe it shouldn`t be version 11 right now, but 8 or 9. And I didn´t find any real alternative to FileMaker - AlphaFive got closest, but there are no international and no Mac versions. So I still hope the best for FileMaker.

1 2 3 Previous Next