6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 9:50 AM by larsheise

Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting

EvanGoldstein

Hello,

I have a layout with a particular tab order, when I copy all of the layout items and paste them into a new layout, the tab order is being reset.

Anyone know what is happening, is there a special procedure needed to retain the tab order?

Thanks,

Evan

• 1. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
          beverly

What happens when you duplicate the layout? If you need all the layout items, would it not be the best to duplicate?

If you are pasting into a new layout with or without other objects, how would it know to keep the tab order?

Beverly

On 22 Feb 2012, at 11:05 AM, EvanGoldstein asked in whole or in part:

created by EvanGoldstein in Layout Design - View the full discussion

Hello,

I have a layout with a particular tab order, when I copy all of the layout items and paste them into a new layout, the tab order is being reset.

Anyone know what is happening, is there a special procedure needed to retain the tab order?

Thanks,

Evan

• 2. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
            EvanGoldstein

I am pasting from my development envirorment into my production environment, so I can't use duplicate.. There are no other items on the layout when I paste, it is a new blank layout.

• 3. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
              beverly

Ah! thanks for the update, Evan. Sorry, I don't have any ideas. Pasting from one file to another is often fraught with problems (things don't always match up), IMO. Pasting within the same file can also use a cautionary note, but not as much, if the layout base tables are the same.

Beverly

On 22 Feb 2012, at 11:39 AM, EvanGoldstein replied in whole or in part:

I am pasting from my development envirorment into my production environment, so I can't use duplicate.. There are no other items on the layout when I paste, it is a new blank layout.

• 4. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
                Mike_Mitchell

I guess taking an outage and just copying the dev database over to production isn't an option?

Mike

• 5. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
                  EvanGoldstein

It is but there are too many tables, and I'd reather not deal with the imports and resetting the serialized fields.

It is faster to clear out all the tabs and reassign.

But thanks for the thought.

• 6. Re: Tab Order Not Being Honored when Pasting
                    larsheise

In my solution I am duplicating a layout to do some new development placing extra fields, functionality etc. If everything goes wrong I delete the layout - BUT if I am satisfied I do a select all - Copy - go back to the original layout - delete everything and paste.

My Tab order is gone ! - it was working on the duplicate layout

Is this a bug or should I do it another way ?

Lars