5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 7:33 AM by comment

Problem with Cust List

peteregg

I am trying to have a drop down List in a file for customers. I have a last name and a first name field. In my other file, I have a csur value list that shows all the last names and first names, however, it will only show 1 of the names. ex I have 4 people with the last name "Wilson" and different first names. I want to have a list that shows all records in my cust file in a drop down list. Any suggestions on the easiest solution???

• 1. Re: Problem with Cust List
          dont

What I do in this situation is create a 'name' field (calculation = first name & "(space)" & surname) then use that calculation field as the value list.  If you have more than one 'John Wilson', also use their middle initial (first name & "(space)" & MiddleInitial & "(space)" & surname to lessen the chances of duplicate names.

For what it's worth...

Cheers

Don

• 2. Re: Problem with Cust List
            comment

What you should do in this situation is set your value list to use values from field: CustomerID, also display values from second field: FullName.

CustomerID is a number field that auto-enters a serial number;

FullName is a calculation field = FirstName & " " & LastName

• 3. Re: Problem with Cust List
              timwhisenant

Hi Peter??,

A drop down list is ok for say…. 25 entries or less, but our customer list is well over a thousand and a drip down list is not very efficient. I have adopted a technique from Scott Love at Soliant using a popup window to filter the list. The original article and file link is: http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/2009/02/picture-perfect-filemaker-pro-pop-up-pickers/

I have added alphabetic filters and for a vendors list product filters.

Happy Filemaking,

Tim

• 4. Re: Problem with Cust List
                peteregg

I understand the id number gives it an individual identity. I should of thought of that when I created the database. the problem i see is how do i assign the already 2000+ names i have and auto-entering the future numbers will mess up the sorting on the names. Im not sure which direction I should go.

• 5. Re: Problem with Cust List
                  comment

peteregg wrote:

how do i assign the already 2000+ names

Add the CustomerID field and place it on the layout. Click inside it and select Records > Replace Field Contents… > Replace with serial numbers (Update serial number...).

Next, you need to add a CustomerID field to any child tables of Customers, and populate it with the value from the matching record in Customers, using your existing relationship.

Finally, switch the relationship/s to match on CustomerID and delete the redundant fields. Make you sure you have a backup before you start.

peteregg wrote:

auto-entering the future numbers will mess up the sorting on the names.

I am afraid I didn't get this part.