3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 7:14 AM by LyndsayHowarth

File opening sequence in Filemaker Server

gazza01

Does anyone know the sequence /protocol that Filemaker Server uses to open the databases to be hosted? ie as loaded / alphabetically or ???. Is is possible to change the order in which they are opened?

Thanks

Gazza01

• 1. Re: File opening sequence in Filemaker Server
          LyndsayHowarth

I don't know officially, but my experience has been that they are given the command to open simultaneously and handled alphabetically.... but they load at different speeds depending on the size... so finish loading in a different sequence.

Why do you ask? I have never really had any issue with loading order.

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File opening sequence in Filemaker Server
            gazza01

Thanks, Lyndsay. We have a solution with  files on Filemaker Server that links to a DICOM server via ODBC. The latter needs some files open before the link can be created. Initially, when the dbs were small, the two could be set to autoopen at login and would connect correctly, but as the db files have become larger, the DICOM server loaded before the FMP files opened, so creating an error message. The db file names a begin with P and S. Our workaround is to manually load the DICOM server after FMS opens which is clumsy. I wondered if there was a way to get these to open earlier in the sequence.

Gazza01

• 3. Re: File opening sequence in Filemaker Server
              LyndsayHowarth

There are some ways to speed it up... like not verifying your data when the database opens... which I don't believe is a good move.

When FMS opens files it checks and repairs them... If closed straight away and reopened... they are much faster to open.

Do you think there is a way you might schedule a script... ?... like the DICOM Connection... If the script launched once the database was opened that might work,

Remote Scripter from 360 works might also help. You could script to open the connection on first call to the database as it monitors a field for changes to trigger the script.

- Lyndsay