4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 8:10 AM by GaryTate

Copying relationship

k.hoornweg

Simple question but hard to find the answer

Is there a way to copy a relationship in the table occurences?

Suppose i have a relationship with 5 fields and need to make a new relationship with 4 same fields and only one different field, it would be much easier to copy the relationship and only change this one field.

• 1. Re: Copying relationship
          GaryTate

Sort of ...

You need FileMaker Advanced, then you can copy and paste relationships (within the same file) to your hearts content. The catch though is that you need to copy the table instances too, which MIGHT be OK, but to be honest it will probably cause problems.

Gary

• 2. Re: Copying relationship
            MicheleOlson

Hi K. Hoornweg,

Gary has given you the answer for copying a relationship, but the way you describe what you want to do, I am wondering if you meant to copy a table occurrence (TO) or a table?

Suppose i have a relationship with 5 fields and need to make a new relationship with 4 same fields and only one different field, it would be much easier to copy the relationship and only change this one field.

If you are using all 5 fields to match to others in the relationship, then FileMaker Advanced will help you duplicate the TO and then establish the relationship to another table. You will need to match all of the fields [the 4 same and the one different]. Copying/duplicating the TO does not automatically match to other fields in another table; it simply gives another instance of the TO to the underlying table.

If you need to create another table with similar fields, FileMaker Advanced will help there as well. You can copy a table and paste it to generate a duplicate of the original. This is done in the Tables tab of the Manage Database window.

Hope this is helpful.

Michele

• 3. Re: Copying relationship
              ClayTarver

Hi Michele - I think your answer is right on, but I admit to confusion regarding Gary's answer about copying and pasting a relationship.  Is that actually possible? 

• 4. Re: Copying relationship
                GaryTate

With FM Advanced yes it is, although you have to copy both table occurances (ie those that surround the relationship), so I'm not sure how relevant or useful it is as a solution.

G