11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 9:48 AM by GaryTate

IWP Disconnect

GaryTate

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find it.

I'm running an IWP solution and am finding that if I leave the syste for a period of time (10-15 minutes) I get the following error and am disconnected

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 12.06.33.png

This is not a time out from the server as this is set to an hour, and the IWP account is set not to disconnect when idle.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Gary

• 1. Re: IWP Disconnect
          BowdenData

user5224 wrote:

I'm running an IWP solution and am finding that if I leave the syste for a period of time (10-15 minutes) I get the following error and am disconnected

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 12.06.33.png

This is not a time out from the server as this is set to an hour, and the IWP account is set not to disconnect when idle.

Gary

Gary,

This is the same message that you would get when the connection is timed out from the FM server due to the expiry period being exceeded. Just to be sure, when you say that the time out from the server is 1 hour, you are referring to the separate setting for web publishing? This is different from the timeout setting for regular FM clients.

If these setting are all okay - are your regular FM clients experiencing disconnects? Are the IWP clients on the LAN or are they coming in from the WAN/Internet? If coming from outside, maybe you have a firewall setting that is getting in the way? Lots of possible causes - so I think you need to list these out (and others you can think of) and then step through checking them.

HTH.

Doug de Stwolinska

Bowden Data Services

• 2. Re: IWP Disconnect
            GaryTate

Cheers Doug

Ye, the time out for IWP is set to an hour on the server, FM idle is set to 4 hours. The strange thing is that I am using FileMaker & IWP on the same computer. FM runs fine without disconnect, but the IWP page seems to time out. The server is sat in a different location.

I suppose it's possible it's a firewall issue, I'll check that out.

G

• 3. Re: IWP Disconnect
              AlanStirling

Hi Gary

Please consider that the Time Out setting in IWP may actually be having no effect upon how long IWP clients may remain logged in?

I have feeling that this has never worked …

It maybe time to file a bug report - rather than wasting time looking for non-existant time delay related firewall settings.

At least you might get a reply to your bug report.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK

• 4. Re: IWP Disconnect
                lhoong

Gary,

If you changed the IWP timeout value recently, did you restart the Web Publishing Engine after the change? You might want to try that, in case.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer

• 5. Re: IWP Disconnect
                  BowdenData

AlanStirling wrote:

Please consider that the Time Out setting in IWP may actually be having no effect upon how long IWP clients may remain logged in?

I have feeling that this has never worked …

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK

I too am unsure of this as have never experimented with setting the time out to anything other than the default 15 minutes. I'll give it a try later and if I find out anything of relevance, will reply to this thread.

Regards,

Doug de Stwolinska

Bowden Data Services

• 6. Re: IWP Disconnect
                    Stephen Huston

As Alan and Lee noted, the setting for IWP timeouts on the server may be shorter than you think. We have found that although we set IWP for 1 hour, it still times out after 15 minutes for most users. Resetting it periodically sometimes helps, other times it accomplishes nothing. A server reboot sometimes allows it to stay at our 1 hr setting longer, but we can't afford to interrupt our FMP users to reboot the server for IWP, which is still going to timeout sooner than we'd like.

And having both FM and IWP connections open from the same client machine won't cause one to affect the other, as they are separate apps using separate connections.

• 7. Re: IWP Disconnect
                      GaryTate

Alan

I'm thinking this myself. Where does one submit a bug report these days?

Gary

• 8. Re: IWP Disconnect
                        AlanStirling

Hi Gary

Firstly, I thought I would check the FileMaker Knowledge Base for any signs of this issue - and there are some - here is the most useful - which shows that Technical Support have tried to replicate the problem, but have not been able to ...

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/70ea2a3fee?lang=en_US

As regards sending in bug reports, I just can't find anywhere to address them!

Perhaps, following the release of FileMaker Pro 11.0v4, they have now finally been discontinued ...

Best wishes - Alan

On 27 Feb 2012, at 16:46:09, user5224 wrote

created by user5224 in Using Web Technologies - View the full discussion

Alan

I'm thinking this myself. Where does one submit a bug report these days?

Gary

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Using Web Technologies by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 • Miami, Florida • July 16-19 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 9. Re: IWP Disconnect
                          GaryTate

Cheers Alan

I've reset the server time out & restarted, I'll let you know if it works.

As regards sending in bug reports, I just can't find anywhere to address them!

Perhaps, following the release of FileMaker Pro 11.0v4, they have now finally been discontinued ...

Nice to know FileMaker no longer has any bugs

Cheers

Gary

• 10. Re: IWP Disconnect
                            Stephen Huston

Yes, that would be nice to know. 

> Nice to know FileMaker no longer has any bugs

• 11. Re: IWP Disconnect
                              GaryTate

OK, I think I've found something, not sure how much use it is though ....

If you use a guest account as the only way to access an IWP solution, the system times out after a small number of minutes of inactivity. Set up an account and it looks like it adheres to the server preferences.

That's a bit of a bum as it means I can't automatically throw people into my solutions and present them with a screen with instructions, but hey, at least I have a work around.

Maybe it'll be sorted in the next version ... whenever that arrives ;-)

Cheers

Gary

PS If anyone does find out how to submit bugs let me know.... or report this as a bug