4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 4:33 PM by GoogleMac

Using CWP to Display PDF stored in Container Field

Gregory_Smith

Hi All,

I have got the hang of using the PHP API to display images stored in a container field per the techniquie described in "FileMaker Server 11 Custom Web Publishing with PHP".

But I am having trouble displaying PDFs stored in a container field. I cannot find any examples which would help me with the PHP code I need. Can anyone point me to some examples?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

• 1. Re: Using CWP to Display PDF stored in Container Field
          PalmDBS

In the original PHP file. load the record and use the path of the container field.  Something like:

<?php

require("dbopen.php");  // my FM connection

$request = $fm->newFindAllCommand('test');

$result = $request->execute();

if(Filemaker::IsError($result)) {$errortext = $result->getMessage(); die($errortext);}

else {

$records = $result->getRecords(); if(Filemaker::IsError($record)) {echo "<p />Error: " . $record->getMessage() . "<p />";}

foreach ($records as $record){

echo "<a href='pdfloader.php?path=".urlencode($record->getField("PDFcontainer"))."'>Load PDF</a>";

}

}

?>

Create a new PDFloader.php file with the following:

<?php

header('Content-type: application/pdf');

require("dbopen.php");  // my FM connection

echo $fm->getContainerData($_REQUEST['path']);

?>

That code above will display your PDF in browser.  You could alternatively use that same getContainerData response to create a physical PDF on the web server filesystem, email it, etc.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 2. Re: Using CWP to Display PDF stored in Container Field
            Gregory_Smith

Thanks Mike. That does help. I had neglected the relevant header in the "PDFloader.php" file.

Greg

• 3. Re: Using CWP to Display PDF stored in Container Field
              RPaulH

I hope someone is still alerted to this post. Is the above solution still applicable in FMS14? I cannot get it to work with a container field using FMS external secure storage. I'm reading that currently I need to use getContainerDataURL, but cannot get anything to work with that either. Anyone have some insight? Thanks

• 4. Re: Using CWP to Display PDF stored in Container Field
                GoogleMac

I need to be able to download (transfer to external server file system where web app is hosted) PDF files from these container fields. I have had no luck.

You could alternatively use that same getContainerData response to create a physical PDF on the web server filesystem, email it, etc.

I have tried a few fopen / get_file_contents options. Is there a recommended approach to this? My goal is to grab a copy using the API so that I can send it in my own email application.