13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 5:13 AM by bumble

Finding text - in this case plant names

bumble

Over the years I have made an FM11 Pro database of my garden with text, pictures & notes.It includesseveral hundred plants & their locations and so on.

However, when I wish to make a simple search for Aubretia (the word is in one of the text boxes among 250+ plants) I am unable to find it.

It seems that I have to search text box by text box which is boring.

Why can I not open the file/database and like others type in the term 'Aubretia' and find it straight away in text or as a picture caption? Or better still, nominate the FM database and search the closed file.

I seem to have missed a fundamental database technique!

• 1. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
          mbraendle

On the top right (see your screen shot) you have the Quick Find search box. If you have set your text fields to be included in quick find (menu Layouts > Layout setup, tick mark Enable Quick Find and for each field in the Inspector, Tab Data, Include field for Quick Find), you should be able to do a search across all fields.

• 2. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
            bumble

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Sadly, I seem to be having a dumb day. I have addded some screen shots to show my dumb endeavours!

1     Is the Quick Find box which starts the process the regular oval with the small downward facing arrow? For me, it has no options other than trying to find what I have typed –  but I must include the field that I wish to look at, ie not ALL fields. At start there is only a greyed out 'No recent searches'.

2     The solution is probably plain & simple as you kindly suggest, but so far it eludes me as I cannot find where to set up....

"menu Layouts > Layout setup, tick mark Enable Quick Find".

Attached is a screenshot of the only screen with what seem to me to be 'nearly' applicable choices.Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 14.22.52.png

Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 09.43.37.png

Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 14.23.15.png

Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 14.47.10.png

Screen shot 2012-02-26 at 14.49.20.png

• 3. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
              MicheleOlson

Hi Bumble,

The Quickfind button in the Status bar is the long white oval with the Magnifier icon on the left side.

quickfind.png

In this image it is in the center of the screen. On your similar image [#2 of yours], it is on the right side of the screen. As Martin wrote, you need to have Quickfind enabled for the layout and for the fields you want to search for QuickFind to work.

qfenabled.png

Also the Fields need to show the QuickFind icon to be searchable. In Layout Mode, this is what you will see for QF searchable fields.

qffield.png

Note the green icon on the right side of field. You can turn QF off or on on a field by field basis with the Inspector.

Hope this helps,

Michele

• 4. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                bumble

Michele,

Thank you for your reply.

I had been looking for a text button on the tool bars. The solution was (nearly) to use the unmarked button shown in the first picture below.

This proved that I had selected QF – but still no Aubretia anywhere.

The answer to this was my error (nearly).

I had added Aubretia to a picture and also to it's file name as 'Aubretia.jpg' – but these are not indexed

Of nterest, a search of Aubretia in my amended file works with both a capital letter and lower case.Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 07.58.25.png

Aubretia.jpg

Thank you all for your help.

• 5. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                  MicheleOlson

Hi Bumble,

Sorry for not telling you how to locate the Layout Setup command. I am glad I showed you the dialog, though. That way you knew what controlled Quick Find on a layout.

Layout Setup can be accessed either with the Layout Setup button in the layout bar (the no named button you point out) or by choosing Layout Setup... from the Layout menu. You can also activate it from the Layouts... command, which brings up the Manage Layouts List. Layouts... is found in the File menu in the Manage sub menu or you can type the keyboard shortcut: Shift+Command+L (I notice you are on a Mac.) Double-click the layout in question and you'll see the Layout Setup dialog.

You will often find within FileMaker there are multiple ways to get at the same feature.  A more complete explanation for all of this is in the topic "Configuring quick find" within FlleMaker Pro Help.

One more tip , the Layout Setup button does have a tooltip which describes its function. Position your cursor over the button, (don't click, BTW) and the tooltip will show. This is also true for other buttons in the layout bar.

tooltip.png

Regarding Find working with both upper and lower case spelling, you have discovered that the Find command is not case sensitive.

Good luck to you,

Michele

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                    bumble

Many thanks for the helpful replies from Martin & Michele which have answered my question.

But one thought lingers:

FM11 Pro is the major Apple database.

By definition one would expect to be able to search and find any data in a database, that is why it is called a database.

But, if, in this case the word sought is Aubretia and it is auto inserted from the desktop using a picture with the name/tag "Aubretia.jpg", surely a search should find it?

I do not expect a search to find Aubretia when the word is pasted/inserted into or onto a picture. However, the name of the picture prior to insertion is indexed on the Mac as normal.

Thus on insertion into FM this title info is likely to be listed somewhere in the data file & this should surely enable it to be found on a word search and produce the picture with or without the title?

• 7. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                      comment

Container fields cannot be searched. However, you can add a calculation field (result is Text) = YourContainerField and search it. For example, if YourContainerField contains a file named "Aubretia.jpg", the calculation field will contain the name of the file and/or the path to the file (depending on how the file was inserted into the container).

• 8. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                        timcimbura

If the photo was entered by being pasted from the clipboard then the text of the original filename doesn't exist in the database at all.

I would create a Keywords field and enter the text meta data that you want to search for. If the photo was inserted from the Insert Picture... menu then you could auto enter the Text(YourContainerFieldName) and it would enter the name of the file so it could be searched.

Take Care,

Tim Cimbura

Helping businesses become more effective, productive, and profitable through custom iPad/iPhone applications, FileMaker app solutions, and web site design.

tim@cimbura.comhttp://www.cimbura.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                          beverly

Bumble, i cannot perform this type of search "automatically" in any SQL database, why would i assume it should in Filemaker? You have to query all the text fields. Quick Find can help. It's not spotlight for sure, and it's not supposed to be.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 10. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                            bumble

Many thanks for your replies on searching for my elusive text "Aubretia". The help has been great.

The pictures were entered using the FM Insert Picture feature & not from the clipboard.  Simple stuff for a simple fella who is just enjoying making a garden record on a bunch of highly enjoyable Apple products.

Bento came out long after I first started with FM6 & just did not seem as much fun (or capable) as FM11. So as a total non-programmer, FM offers me lots of bells & whistles with which to play, educate myself and be amazed at all the clever things that it can do.

BUT it seems to me that if my iMac now running 10.6.8 can find all manner of requests, why can a premium Apple product like FM11 not find many more?

My basic Mac with no applications open can search in closed files – but it seems, not within FM database files.

PS   You may ask why only 10.6.8?   The answer is that I still run my ancient Stylewriter II:  it uses Ipstyl for Mac OS X & Ghostscript which I am led to believe will not work on the latest OS.  When the last 12 ink cartridges run out I will update!

• 11. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                              sporobolus

on 3/1/12 10:59 AMbumble wrote

BUT it seems to me that if my iMac now running 10.6.8 can find all manner of requests, why can a premium Apple product like FM11 not find many more?

My basic Mac with no applications open can search in closed files – but it seems, not within FM database files.

exposing the content of FileMaker databases to Spotlight searches would appeal

to those building relatively simple databases for general record-keeping, but

while FileMaker is good at that, it's even better at more complex, mid-range

database solutions; considering the full range of FileMaker's uses, Spotlight

integration would open a can of worms due to factors such as permissions,

high-volume indexing changes, and the question of what action to perform when a

found item was "opened" ...

(btw, while i'm a professional and have built much bigger systems, i also have

cataloged my dryland perennial garden for over a decade in FileMaker; i've

reached the point, though, where i want to share the information more widely

and so i'm in the process of redeploying my database in a web

content-management system (Drupal), which will expose my content to that great

Spotlight in the clouds, Google ...)

• 12. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                                bumble

Steve,

Many thanks.

As ever, Martin

• 13. Re: Finding text - in this case plant names
                                  bumble

Michele,

Many thanks for your patience. Problem solved!

And Spring is entering my garden ....

Regards, Martin Bee

martinbee01@tiscali.co.uk