8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 7:00 AM by tomas

Print search find as labels

tomas

Hi everyone,

Perhaps this is a very simple problem, but I can simply not figure it out. I am trying to print labels of a subset of my records that I have found using a search.

Example:

I have a database with two tables

- Company addresses

- Business activity

These two have a relationship using company name

I do a search in the company activity dataset using the term; 'IT'.

This gives me a result of say 20 out of 120 records.

I have created a layout with labels and I want to send these IT-companies a snailmail.

How do I print out labels of these 20 IT-companies?

Best regards

Tomas

• 1. Re: Print search find as labels
          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Tomas,

Firstly, make sure the labels layout is using the company table.

Then make sure the labels fit the page of labels they should print on... sometimes this can be fiddly if you can't use the auto-labels.

Then create a script which... after any find... goes to the labels layout... previews (and pause) (and show status area if hidden) so you can flip thru what you are going to print... then prints... then returns you to the Original Layout... and back to the Browse mode. The script should be attached to a button.

There are lots of variations and complexities you can add to the script... that is just the bare-bones

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Print search find as labels
            tomas

Thank You Lyndsay!

The script I am using does not show the same labels as the companies I did in my search.

The script looks like this right now:

• Go to layout [labels(Companies)]
            • Enter Preview Mode [Pause]
            • Show/Hide Status Area [Toggle]
            • Print [Restore: 'Printer']
            • Go to Layout [Original Layout]
            • Enter Browse Mode []

I search for companies that does X I find a subset of companies and click on the button that has this script linked to it.

The labels I get are oddly enough another subset of companies. I can not see any link really between these companies.

Am I making an obvious mistake?

Thanks

Tomas

• 3. Re: Print search find as labels
              comment

tomas wrote:

It sounds like you are doing the find in another table (Activities?), not the Companies table?

• 4. Re: Print search find as labels
                tomas

Michael Horak wrote:

tomas wrote:

It sounds like you are doing the find in another table (Activities?), not the Companies table?

This is of course a theoretical example, but yes.

Two tables

• Companies
                • Activities

Relationship - Company name

Say I want to send letters to IT companies

I do a search in the Activities table and find a subset of companies that fill this critera

I do not have all information in the Activities table about each company but only a relationship to the other table. Does this make it impossible to print my results as labels as it is set up right now?

• 5. Re: Print search find as labels
                  comment

The "problem" is that finding in one table does not affect the found set in the other one. You need to do one of the following:

Go to a layout of Companies, and look for "IT" in the related field from Activities.

Or:

After performing the find in Activities, do:

Go to Related Record [ from Companies, Show related only, Match found set ]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Print search find as labels
                    tomas

A script as follows?

Go to Related Record[Show only related records; Match found set; From table: "Companies"; Using layout: "Labels"(Companies)]

I must be doing something wrong because this does not give me the subset I am looking for.

• 7. Re: Print search find as labels
                      comment

Something must be missing from your description, because it should work. If you found 20 "IT" records in Activities, doing GTRR [Match found set] should end up with the 20 corresponding companies forming the found set in Companies.

• 8. Re: Print search find as labels
                        tomas

I think something is missing too. The database I have built for this company is huge with lots and lots of tables and layouts. I did not even know Filemaker existed a week ago (I am a linux coder hired to do this), and I did not want to go into details with the database structure for this quite simple question.

Now I have played around with this script for a while and I am sure you've put me on the right path. I just have to figure out how to make this easy for the users (and give the correct results).

Thank You so much for your help!