2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 3:17 PM by jlba

FM 11 Advanced (MAC) and Thunderbird Email Client Issue

egbaumier

I have a customer that uses FM11 Adv for MAC and Thunderbird as Email Client instead original Mail included at Lion.

How can I send email by FM without message errors?

Everything works fine with Mail but when change default Email Client at MAIL for Thunderbird, I always got an error message :

"Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Edison

• 1. Re: FM 11 Advanced (MAC) and Thunderbird Email Client Issue
          sporobolus

on 2/27/12 8:36 AMEdison Garcia wrote

I have a customer that uses FM11 Adv for MAC and Thunderbird as Email Client instead original Mail included at Lion.

How can I send email by FM without message errors?

Everything works fine with Mail but when change default Email Client at MAIL for Thunderbird, I always got an error message :

"Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

FileMaker Pro does not support Thunderbird as an outgoing client for the FMP

email features; Thunderbird's minimal AppleScript support is also insufficient

to create messages; the simple solution is ti compose and "open" a mailto link,

e.g.:

mailto:someone@xyz.tld?subject=testing&body="hello world"

more info: http://yoast.com/guide-mailto-links/

you may be able create an email from the command line; i haven't been able to

get it to work myself (first of all Thunderbird can't be running when the

command is issued, secondly, Thunderbird crashes right away), but theoretically

it would something like this:

/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -compose 
          "to='someone@xyz.tld',subject='testing',body='hello world'"

more info: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments_(Thunderbird)

• 2. Re: FM 11 Advanced (MAC) and Thunderbird Email Client Issue
            jlba

Hello,

I'm in the same configuration as Edison Garcia. I'm trying to use "open url (mailto:…)" to create new mails with TB.

It works fin, the mail is created with recipient, subject and body but no way to add an attachment ("attachment=").

I've read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments_(Thunderbird) but they only say "the valu should be a file:// url, properly encoded".

What is "properly encoded" on Mac ? I tried many ways to write the path to the file, abslute or relative, with or without single or double quotes, starting with /Volumes/HD Name/ or /HDName/… Nothing works.

I'd like a little help as I hope I do not use the right syntax.

Thanks.