1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 12:29 AM by comment

Create a list from within a table

noushie

Is there any way to create a list from within a table.

For example, I have a field in a table that has fields for the First Name, the second name and a field that joins the 2 to create a full name and then fields for a secondary contact, first, last, full name, and then a field that joins both the 1st and 2nd contact

What i want to be able to do is create a list that lists these.

1st contacts full name

2nd contacts full name

the 1st & 2nd contacts full name.

From there i want to be able to select one of the above.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Create a list from within a table
          comment

noushie wrote:

From there i want to be able to select one of the above.

For what purpose?

• 2. Re: Create a list from within a table
            noushie

I want to be able to select from these three different name variations for the address lable on mailing lists.

• 3. Re: Create a list from within a table
              comment

I believe it would it much simpler to select the method first, then calculate the result - rather then calculating all possible results, then selecting from among them.

BTW, isn't this the same question as the one here?

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/71598#71598

• 4. Re: Create a list from within a table
                noushie

I dont think it is the same question. I have created a multiple to multiple relationship whereby I can add multiple contacts to mailing lists. What i want to be able to do is add a contact to a mailing list and depending on the who the contact is, chose from a list how we address the lables and letters.

Therefore, i want a drop down box from which we can select from either the primary contact, secondary contact or primary & secondary contact.

I have calculated each of these different types of names, but need to compile them in a list from whci hto chose.

Is there a way to do this? Create a list within a contacts details?

• 5. Re: Create a list from within a table
                  comment

I am afraid we are going in a circle. I suggest you use a drop box to select the method, not the result. That will eliminate the need to construct a value list that will present a different set of 3 results for each record - which in turn will require adding another relationship.

• 6. Re: Create a list from within a table
                    noushie

What do you mean by 'select the method'?

• 7. Re: Create a list from within a table
                      comment

I mean select either "Primary Contact" or "Secondary Contact" or "Primary & Secondary Contact". That's a simple value list, using custom values, that's applicable to any record. As opposed to a value list that would have you selecting between "John Smith" or  "Anna Smith" or "John and Anna Smith" for one record, and between "Paul Jones" or  "Betty Jones" or "Paul and Betty Jones" for the next one.

• 8. Re: Create a list from within a table
                        comment

BTW, you could probably build your user interface so that  users are presented with the actual names and select by clicking one of them. But what is actually stored as the selection is still the method, not the result.

• 9. Re: Create a list from within a table
                          noushie

Would you be able to give an example of how to use a list of values from within the same table?

• 10. Re: Create a list from within a table
                            comment

Ok, I have lost my place now. What do you mean by "list of values from within the same table"?

• 11. Re: Create a list from within a table
                              noushie

Within one table I have the contact details of the contact, which includes fields in which you add Title, First and surname, of the primary contact, then the same for a secondary contact, and then calculation fields that add the fields together to get Mr John Smith and Mrs Anna Smith. Therefore, all of these fields are within the one table. Can I create a list that gives one the option of selecting from these fields, so I can chose from different derivations of these names. This is because I want to be able to add either 'Mr John Smith', 'Mrs Anna Smith' or 'Mr John Smith and Mrs Anna Smith' to a particular mailing list. I have set up the database so I can add multiple contacts to multiple mailing lists. Depending on the mailing list, I may only want to address it to Mr John Smith. Then on another mailing list I might want to address it to Mr John Smith and Mrs Anna Smith.

Therefore, I want to create a drop down box so I can select between these and if I want to, change this very easily but having a drop down box that shows these different ways of addressing the letter etc. Therefore, these names are located in the same table. They are not like a making a list of something from anoth table, but specific fields (3 different fielld) wihin the same table.

• 12. Re: Create a list from within a table
                                comment

noushie wrote:

Therefore, these names are located in the same table.

Actually, these names are located in the same record, are they not? If it were only about making a value list of all the name combinations in the entire table, it would be very simple: define another calculation field =

List ( FullPrimaryName ; FullSecondaryName ; FullCombinedName )

and a value list using values from this field. However, that will not provide what you asked for earlier:

noushie wrote:

I want to be able to select from these three different name variations for the address lable on mailing lists.
                                • 13. Re: Create a list from within a table
                                  MicheleOlson

Hi noushie,

Let's approach your question from a different direction.

It appears to me that you described in your reply to Michael your real need is to select the appropriate address name for *each mailing list* based upon the the focus of the mailing list.

noushie wrote:

Depending on the mailing list, I may only want to address it to Mr John Smith. Then on another mailing list I might want to address it to Mr John Smith and Mrs Anna Smith.

It seems to me that what you need is not a means of selecting the name on a record by record basis which is what you originally described, but rather a means of selecting the name to be used for a particular mailing list.

If this is what you need, there a several ways to achieve the end.

One method would be to have your script (after the set of records that should be mailed to is found) ask which address name is needed: 1st, 2nd OR Both. Based upon the selection the script would then go to a labels layout with the appropriate field for the address name and print the labels. This would require 3 labels layouts, each with a different address name field.

Another method would use a global field and a calc field. You would need to add these to your table. Use the global field to let the user select which name type is used. This could be a drop down or radio button selection depending upon your layout space and design. The calc field would hold the result of their selection.

Example:

gNameType     a global field with selection of value list choices:   1st    2nd    Both

cNameSelected     a calc field with a formula, such as:

Case (gNameType = "1st", Namefull1st;

gNameType = "2nd"; Namefull2nd;

gNameType = "Both"; NamefullBoth)

Only one mailing labels layout would be required and the field used for the first line would be cNameSelected. [NOTE: in my formula I did not include a final result -- what should display if nothing is selected. You'll need to decide what is needed.]

Your script to produce the labels could trap for no selection made in the gNameType field, etc. You would also likely want to clear the global field at the end of printing labels so it is not pre-set if the user produces a second set of labels within the same working session.

There are other methods as well, but these two may give you a little different direction than you had been thinking.

Regards,

Michele

• 14. Re: Create a list from within a table
                                    comment

Hi Michelle,

The way I read this, noushie wants to select the name type for each individual subscription (i.e. the record joining subscribers and mailing list), so that the Jones family will receive some mailings with a "Bob Jones" label and some mailings with a "Betty Jones" label.

I am attaching a simplified demo that shows how it may be done without much fuss. Of course, noushie would prefer to have the popup show the actual name variations rather than the types. But that's going to take more work and more resources.

1 2 Previous Next