8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 1:53 PM by comment

Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?

ssarnikowski

Things have been working fine and now, suddenly, the layout/report option is grayed out and I can't select it. I can duplicate an existing layout, but I can not create a new one with the standard approach.

When I create a new database I don't have the problem. Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
          DavidZakary

Are you using a Full Access account?

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
            Stephen Huston

And how about Custom Menus? If so, the Tools menu will allow Full Access accounts to revert the Standard FielMaker menus.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
              ssarnikowski

Thanks!!  I checked my security and I am admin - with full access.

...But I have added a custom menu.  When I go back to the standard set, the problem goes away!?  I look around the custom menu sections and it seems that one can't control the New Layout/Report button.  So... what could be the difference?  There doesn't seem to be a way to screw this up by mistake?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
                Stephen Huston

It sounds like you have a Custom Menu with an edited View Menu.

Turning off layout access for regular users is often a good thing.

You can setup a test in your On Open script to install Standard Menus and make them the default for the file IF the login Account Name is yours, leaving others with the custom set. I do this all the time in file I am developing or working with on a server while hosted so that I don't have to keep hunting for the correct menus for development.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
                  ssarnikowski

Thanks for all the replies.  Maybe I don't understand security in FileMaker.  The only thing that I can see that is unavailable when I have the custom menu item is the grayed out New Layout/Report.  I can duplicate a layout, I can edit a layout, I just can't create a new one??  I don't see a way to modify/edit security with the kind of specificity that this configuration is displaying.  Do you think that this is a bug?

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
                    comment

ssarnikowski wrote:

Maybe I don't understand security in FileMaker.  The only thing that I can see that is unavailable when I have the custom menu item is the grayed out New Layout/Report.

Custom Menus are not a security feature. They are a convenience you can provide to your users. To handle what your users are allowed to do, use Accounts and Privilege Sets. Then - if you like - use Custom Menus to remove the unavailable menu items (if you don't, they will be grayed out).

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
                      Malcolm

Custom Menus are not a security feature. They are a convenience you can provide to your users. To handle what your users are allowed to do, use Accounts and Privilege Sets. Then - if you like - use Custom Menus to remove the unavailable menu items (if you don't, they will be grayed out).

Not so fast Michael.  Custom menus have an important role to play in data security.

Custom menus do not control security at the data level. However, they do control application behaviours and this has implications for security.

Here's a simple example. A privilege set called "system manager" is allowed to delete records in all tables. That is a security setting at the data level. The system manager intends to delete a set of records that were created during training sessions with other staff. After performing the find the manager accidentally switches between the found set and the omitted set then selects "Delete All Records". Whoops. The manager has selected the wrong set of records.

If "Delete All Records" were removed using Custom Menus the situation is avoided. If "Delete All Records" were modified to run a developer defined script using Custom Menus then "Delete All" may actually move the records to an archive or some other scenario - anything but complete data loss.

Malcolm

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced New Layout/Report Grayed-out?
                        comment

I agree with all you said - and I still don't consider Custom Menus to be a "security feature". So perhaps we need to agree on the definition of the term first.

IMHO, the important point here is that limiting user's actions by Custom Menus does not really prevent the user from performing the action by other means. In your example, the system manager is prevented from making a mistake. I call that "a convenience you can provide to your users". There is nothing to stop the system manager from deliberately deleting all records.