6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 12:52 PM by RoyGubbels

Importing records from same customer with different locations

RoyGubbels

Hello,

I want to import data from customers and locations with different locations into filemaker.

If i do an import, the record "customer" will be imported as many times as there is a record of an new location.

What i want is an sollution where i import only one record for each new customer and automatically relate the different locations.

Maybe its simple, but i could't find an proper sollution.

Thanks for the replys,

Roy

• 1. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
          beverly

What file format are you using for the import, Roy?

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 2. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
            RoyGubbels

We use an .csv file.

BR

Roy

• 3. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
              beverly

Thanks! Roy, is there a unique identifier for each customer? Or are you using some column/ field to know when the customer is unique within a set of locations?

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 4. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
                techt

Hi Roy,

You might try importing each location into a temporary table in your solution and then import into your proper customer table from there. If, as Beverly asks, there is a primary key that is unique for the same customer across all copies, then you import from the first location and perform a merge from the other locations. If the data has a proper date/time stamp, you could use that as a trigger to figure out which data is the most current and replace accordingly.

I find the temporary tables in your solution make it easier to get repeat sets of exports from the client and then scripting the updates into your tables. I've found it's worth the time savings for subsequent imports since most systems are online until the new solution is in place.

HTH,

Tim

• 5. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
                  LyndsayHowarth

Hi Roy,

Yes as per Beverly & Tim... and obviously it depends on how complex the exercise is as to what measures you take. If it is simply an exercise of gathering new customer data and ignoring any changes in contact details of existing entries or orders or purchase details or notes or logs, it is relatively simple.

If it is to be a repeated exercise then maybe a more permanent intermediary database or table can be used.

I have added this next paragraph in hope that it doesn't confuse or distract you from what might be a really simple requirement... but it may offer some ideas for a more complex need.

I have a scenario like this where Excel workbooks come from all over the world and the data is more than just a customer list... but a complex database itself on many worksheets... and contacts have no identifiers other than name and contact details. Contacts may appear on several workbooks and from time-to-time update their phone, email and address details and may go to events out-of-area.

I built a standalone database which acts as a staging area for updating the main database. This database can be used on any machine anywhere to import data from a local file and update the online master database. A preview interface allows the user to scan the data to approve the suggested match and flags fields such as phone and email etc where the data differs.... as well as provides buttons to update with new data based on the latest data collection date (which is calculated from the Excel filename). At the end of the process, the Excel file is auto-uploaded to the server and also accessible via the main database.... and the 'Importer" database is emptied ready for the next import.

- Lyndsay

• 6. Re: Importing records from same customer with different locations
                    RoyGubbels

Thanks to all.

I will be dealing with this the next week....

Roy