1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 8:37 AM by mweldon@ansi.org

Send Mail 1506 Error w/ Exchange Server 2010

Jeremiah_Hammond

Hey all,

Here's the issue: I'm getting intermittent false positive 1506 errors from the Send Email[ ] script step when sending email via SMTP through a 2010 Exchange Server. False positive meaning the emails *do* get sent out, but FileMaker thinks they weren't.

Background: I have a client whose FileMaker application sends out invoices via email through their SMTP server, aka through the Send Mail [ Send Via SMTP Server ] script step. Everything worked great for about a year and then they upgraded to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010. From that point onward, about 1 out of every 4 or so emails (aka Send Mail steps) would come back with a 1506 error ("Email(s) could not be sent successfully"). Here's the problem: this is a false positive error: the email actually *does* get sent out to the recipient, but FileMaker thinks it didn't.

Normally false positives aren't that big of a deal, but because this involves ensuring a customer gets an invoice, it's important the client knows which invoices were sent out successfully and which weren't. I do understand the inherent problems with email reliability in general, but at this point, FileMaker is totally in the dark.

Already been through priority support, so that's not an option.

The only realistic solution I can see at this point is for the client to use an email plugin. I'm always a little bit hesitant to introduce a plugin into an application unless it's absolutely necessary, which brings to my question: Are there other routes I should try to go down first before a plugin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, oh great FileMaker mind hive.

Thank you!

--

Jeremiah Hammond

DB Services | dbservices.com

Senior Technical Project Lead

Office: (317) 288-4274

• 1. Re: Send Mail 1506 Error w/ Exchange Server 2010
          mweldon@ansi.org

Hi Jeemiah,

Have you figured out how to FIX this? I'm also hesitant to add in additional plug-ins. Any help is appreciated.

I have the exact same problem occur this month. We upgraded to Exchange 10 and every four records or so we get a false positive error! (my post is below). We spent days trying to figure this out. __Thanks

When sending SMTP emails, I am getting the ERROR message, "email could not be sent successfully" even though the message is in fact going through. So this is a false positive error message.

The thing is: the error message dialogue box requires the user to sit there and click OK to continue to the next record. With hundreds of records this is a real pain. We have sent thousands of SMTP email with no problem until our company recently upgraded to Microsoft Exchange 10 Server. I’m wondering if there is an issue here. I have devised a work-a-round by including “Set Error Capture-ON” in the email script, so this resolved the need to click OK, but the false positives are still troubling and slowing us down significantly.

Can anyone help?

Mary

American National Standards Institute

mweldon@ansi.org