8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 9:47 AM by olgagutten

Problem with Pie Chart

olgagutten

Dear All,

I am looking for the elegant solution to a pie chart. It is currently calculating each field in the related table, rather then just take the summary of calculation that is based on the formula. If somebody could help with it as it is required for my company project and I am fully locked with this pie chart.

• 1. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
          comment

olgagutten wrote:

take the summary of calculation that is based on the formula

A more detailed explanation of the task would be helpful.

• 2. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
            olgagutten

Dear Michael, thank you for your prompt advice. We have been taking the summary of calculation and it is not working. The more detailed explanation is: we have a header table and animal table linked to header. The relationship is based on the test id. The layout is based on the header table. The pie chart is based on the results of the test in the animal table,where we have 3 different summary results for the pie chart to display. Each result is based on the summary calculation for the animal test id relationship. If we place pie chart on the animal layout it is working, but when we place it on header layout it is not working. However we can not move the results completely to animal layout for number of other reasons. It has to be based on header details.

I will attach the screenshots to my original posting.

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
              comment

I am afraid your structure is not quite clear to me:

What is the "header" table? What does each record in this table represent in real life?

What do you mean by "3 different summary results" with "each result is based on the summary calculation for the animal test id relationship"? It seems to me that each animal has a single result (out of 3 possible) of a single test - but perhaps I am oversimplifying the situation.

• 4. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
                olgagutten

Two tables: header and animal-linked by relationship based on header id. In the pie chart we are trying to display the following: animals with result 1, animals with result 2 and animals with result 3. When we display the pie chart on animal layout it is working fine. The result you would see in attachement 2 above, but the request is to display the same result (animals fragmented into pie chart ) on header layout.

• 5. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
                  comment

You haven't answered my question about what does the header table mean. It's not clear if the chart on header layout should reflect only animals related to the current header or all animals in the animals table.

• 6. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
                    olgagutten

The header is just the name of a table, but the chart should reflect only animals related to the current header-not all the animals.

• 7. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
                      comment

See if something like the attached could fit your purpose. This is not the only way to do it, but it's a very simple one. OTOH, it's not ideally suited for a pie chart, where you want the slices to appear in descending size order.

• 8. Re: Problem with Pie Chart
                        olgagutten

Thank you very much. That fits perfectly!