10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 3:35 PM by sicoa

Starter Solution

gowa

I was playing the starter solutions and came up with a Purchase Order that will work perfectly for us.

Is it possible to bring that whole solution into my present solution as is?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Starter Solution
          vince.menanno

Depends what you mean by "Bring In". I beleive the starter solutions are free to use in whatever way you want to. Meaning that you could create a refence to that file, or you could copy all the tables (actually there probably is only 1 table in most of those solutions), and just past it into your solution. Free to do what you want with it basically.

Is that what you were wondering?

Vince

• 2. Re: Starter Solution
            gowa

Hi Vince,

Thanks.

Yes, I understand that they are free with the package.

I am hoping there is a way to use it without creating a new layout, importing everything and starting over.

Thus far I've been designing everything from scratch but I got going on this starter solution as an exercise and it turned out real nice with everything I need.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Starter Solution
              gowa

I'm a bit confused.

I coppied the tables (Purchase Orders & Line items) etc. to a new layout in my solution but I see that the fields have the <Unrelated table> in them.

Any help?

• 4. Re: Starter Solution

Hi Gowa?

I'm guessing that you will need to link the Purchase Orders table to your table of Vendors. Then it will be a process of repointing the fields to their related data as defined by the connections you've made in the relationship graph.

Just remember that the layout has to be based on the exact name of a Table Occurrence in the graph.

Once you've done that, then you'll hopefully see how it all works.

Cheers,

John

• 5. Re: Starter Solution
                  Stephen Huston

It may be even more complicated than John noted. FileMaker uses internal IDs to track objects such as fields, so you may have to individually repoint each field on the layout after having repointed the layout to work from the correct base table.

If the fields on the layout had been copied from another layout in the same file, correcting the base table for the layout might be enough, but if they started in another file or pointed to the wrong table, you may have to individually repoint each field on that layout.

• 6. Re: Starter Solution
                    gowa

I've coppied everything to the new Layout and still it doesn't work. Now that's what I call frustrating. I just may have to ditch it and start over.

Is there a good video tutorial on how to create a purchase order in FileMaker?

• 7. Re: Starter Solution

Hi Gowa,

I can sense your frustration but there is surely some small, but obviously important step, that is holding you back. Many of us go through these same steps whenever we access another file as an adjunct to our main system.

Is there any chance that you can post a copy of the file as I'm sure that will enable us to spot the problema and help you to understand the process.

Cheers,

John

• 8. Re: Starter Solution
                        sicoa

When migrating solutions into other solution files try using the following sequence:

1. Tables and Fields and their relationships

2. Lists

3. Layouts

4. Scripts

It's a hassle but at least you avoid unrelated table issues...

• 9. Re: Starter Solution
                          vince.menanno

I think its a little more complicated than that unfortunately.

NOTE: some things you can copy and some things you can't.

What about value lists and custom functions if you have added those you'll have to get those in place. But then what if your custom functions or value lists depend on fields.

Oh and what about Custom Menus if you have those... anway probably don't have to worry about them in your case but just worth mentioning as the number of things to pay attention to are much greater and don't want to give peole the impression that these are the only items to consider.

I think one of the best things is to move over parts and pieces and test each one of these as you move them over.

Also there are times when FileMaker will generate an import.log file when you copy and paste into your solution. I would recommend coping a secion then review that file for errors. And tackling piece by piece.

Vince

• 10. Re: Starter Solution
                            sicoa

Hi Vince,

I agree with your comments.

However for the specific starter solution (Purchase Orders) the following sequence should work:

1. Tables and Fields and their relationships

2. Lists

3. Layouts

4. Scripts

In addition to clarify, when I say migrate, I don't necessarily mean Copy and Paste. As you say, some things can be copy pasted in and others need to be manually migrate (i.e. recreated).

Obviously migrating other complex solutions and sections is much more tricky and needs more thought.

Don't forget Gowa is simply trying to get the starter solution working

Dimitris