2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 12:12 AM by sporobolus

Applescript Calls and FileMaker Pro Sandboxing

RonSmithMD

Does anyone know if the current Applescripting calls from within FileMaker will be prevented when Apple enforces sandboxing on the Mac in the Mountain Lion upgrade in June!?

If it does there is a fair liklihood I may reconsider Mountain Lion altogether. There are some things that there is no other way to do but Applescripting. My Skype applescripts are good example.

I don't dial phone numbers to call patients back and haven't for years. In fact I don't even have a landline in my personal office space. I click a button that calls an Applescript to tell Skype to dial the number. (You can see this script and others if you search for documents using the tag ronsmithmd).

Here's the MacWorld URL for the article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/165641/2012/03/how_increased_mac_security_measures_will_impact_applescript.html

Ron

Ron Smith, MD

PaperCutPro®

• 1. Re: Applescript Calls and FileMaker Pro Sandboxing
          robwoof

I don't think we need to get too concerned just yet. Why?

1) The enforcement of sandboxing applies to applications sold in the App Store. FileMaker isn't (yet).

2) Mountain Lion's "Gatekeeper" has several security levels. One allows only App Store applications. The next allows non-App Sore applications, but requires signed applications. The third (and final) level allows anything.

3) In the article you linked to, the section called "External AppleScripts" looks like being the "get out of jail free card" in this discussion. If Mountain Lion blocks AppleScript calls from within FileMaker, the next step will to compile the script and dump it into the allowed location when it's required. Since I suspect that you use calculated AppleScripts (you give the example of making Skype calls, so I presume you run a script that is calculated at runtime to include the Skype ID of the person you are calling), then you may need to look at AppleScript calls where it's a compiled script where you pass it a parameter at run time.

Point 3 is a bit speculative - I'm still getting my head around the sandboxing and entitlements stuff, but that's my take on it so far.

Of course, given Apple's trajectory, we may need to get more concerned soon...

HTH

Rob

• 2. Re: Applescript Calls and FileMaker Pro Sandboxing
            sporobolus

on 3/1/12 6:20 PMRonSmithMD wrote

Does anyone know if the current Applescripting calls from within FileMaker will be prevented when Apple enforces sandboxing on the Mac in the Mountain Lion upgrade in June!? 

i read the MacWorld article, and have been following various other discussions,

as i use py-appscript for a lot of work lately, and have done a lot with

AppleScript over the years

Rob made good points; my hope is that FMI chooses to keep FileMaker out of the

app store in order to avoid most of these issues; next best outcome would be

that Apple entitles FileMaker in such a way that users will have to do little

or nothing to retain the status quo; after that are various workaround

situations where most things are still possible, but not without the user

having to change some configuration and/or answer some dialogs; worst case i

could imagine FMI deciding AppleScript is no longer worth the hassle

all in all, i'd say there's a good chance of some sort of disruption, and a

clear statement of intention from FMI would help; there may be some

opportunities for plug-in developers here