2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 11:39 AM by janet.wright

Labels with spaces between?

janet.wright

I'm trying to create a label format for specimen vials based on USA Scientific's Tough-Spots. This is a label sheet with round labels (for tube lids). Unlike most Avery labels, these aren't right up against each other. There's a set space between the labels on the printed sheet. There are 12 labels across the page and 16 down (192 per page). The round label diameter (height and width) is .38 inches. The vertical pitch (from top of one label to top of the next) is .63 inches, and the horizontal pitch (from left of one label to left of next) is also .63 inches. Top margin is .62" and side margin is .69". I've attached a Microsoft Word template for the labels in case this shows anything helpful.

I can use the "Custom" assistant and just pretend the labels are .38 tall and .63 wide, but then some of the text will run off to the right of each label instead of doing a line return when it gets to the edge.

Any suggestions how to set this up? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Labels with spaces between?
          Stephen Huston

Hi Janet,

Your attachment comes up as a blank screen when I tried to preview it, but I have some ideas anyway.

If you just create a generic label layout (don't worry about getting the measurements right in the label wizard) and then go into layout mode you will see some stuff similar to this image, with dotted lines between horizontal label areas.

labels.png

You can drag the dotted line along the right edge of the FIRST label to make all labels on the page wider or narrower, as well as lengthening or shortening the body part of the layout, giving you any size you might desire.

You can also go into the Layout Setup screen to redefine how many to print across if your default label wasn't correct, and to adjust the left and right print margins for the actual label sheet in the layout setup dialog. Then readjust the width of the left-most label area on the layout itself.

I have almost never been happy with the New Layout wizard's results when designing labels, even for some of the most basic Avery varieties, so I do this all the time.

I  define the top, left, and right margins for printing, but I usually make the bottom margin shorter than the sheet would suggest (sometimes even 0) in case the label body ends up being a pixel longer than expected so it doesn't leave the last row of labels blank when printed.

Stephen Huston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Labels with spaces between?
            janet.wright

Thanks, Stephen.  I now see that I can use the dotted lines to control the "pitch" between labels, and the text box to control the size of the label.  Now some trial and error is in order, and I will try your suggestions for the margins.  If I need some more help tweaking it I will get back to you.  Great help!

Janet