7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 12:32 PM by Stephen Huston

What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?

cdurham

Greetings to all,

I tried to open FileMaker Pro, and I am getting errors all of a sudden. I check my e-mail, and I got this message

FileMaker Server 11.0.3.309 on FMP reported the following event:

Fri Mar 02 05:23:41 CST 2012 FMS WARNING wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

FileMaker Server automatically sent you this email. Contact the administrator if you no longer want to receive these notifications.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how I could solve this problem?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
          MichaelKirby

It means that your Web Publishing Engine (WPE) has stopped responding, we get this from time to time on our separate Windows 2K3 Web Server, it's normally when the server reboots after updates are applied.  You just need to go into your admin console and start the Publishing Engine again and all should be well.

Michael

• 2. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
            cdurham

@MichaelKirby,

thank you for your response. Is the WPE used to create reports that can be viewed on the web? If so, my company does not use this feature. I am just a beginner with FileMaker Pro Advanced 11. Is there a way that I can disable the WPE or is it just a necessary function that must run in FMP?

• 3. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
              MichaelKirby

If you are running Web Publishing in any form then WPE will be running.  As you mention reports on the web I suspect you have some form of web access to your FM database(s) therefore it should be running.  There may be other causes of this message but every time we have seen it, the problem has been that the service has stopped on the Web Server.

• 4. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
                cdurham

@MichaelKirby

Thanks for the info!

• 5. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
                  Stephen Huston

A point of further clarification...

WPE is requried if anyone is allowed access to any served file via a web browser interface.

If nobody is supposed to have access via a web browser, but only thru FileMaker, then you can turn off WPE on the server. Don't do this without checking the Security settings of all the hosted files to see if any of the Web Publishing Extended permissions are enabled for any active permission group/privilege set. (I believe there are 4 extended privs that can affect web access.)

If any are enabled, find out for sure if web publishing is really in use before disabling anything related to web publishing. But if it's not used at all, and especially if none of the web access permissions are enabled, its a unnecessary service to run.

• 6. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
                    honda99

I also get this same message several times a day.  What if you have users that need access via a web browser, therefore can't turn if off?  It just worries me that a service like this seems to fail many times a day.  I have two servers (one FMS 11 and one FMS 12) and both servers generate this same message. 

• 7. Re: What is FMS Warning WPE1, and what can I do to solve it?
                      Stephen Huston

Hi honda99,

I recommend you check other threads on this forum regarding WPE failures. There has been a lot of stuff posted on this problem. If you don't find your answer in old threads, you should start a new thread beginning with the details of your systems, OS version, FM version revs, etc, and fill us in on your server settings, and the exact error reports you are getting. Be sure to any info you know or suspect about when these failures occur and what is happening on the server or exceptional network activity around that time.

One of the early suggestions you are likely to get is to reinstall the WPE components for FM Server, so you might start there.