3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2012 7:38 AM by usbc

Imported file names and/or paths

Sukisu

Hi, I am importing a lot of records from different files, and I'd like to keep a track of the filename that the record originated from. Is there a simple calculation that can find this for me? Obviously the Get(FilePath) or Get(FileName) locates the details for the current FileMaker database. I'm importing from Appleworks, and there are lots of different files to import.

• 1. Re: Imported file names and/or paths
          beverly

is it time to start looking at a FILE-type plugin?

Beverly

On 02 Mar 2012, at 9:13 AM, su.knight@torld.co.uk asked in whole or in part:

created by su.knight@torld.co.uk in Scripting and Calculations - View the full discussion

Hi, I am importing a lot of records from different files, and I'd like to keep a track of the filename that the record originated from.  Is there a simple calculation that can find this for me?  Obviously the Get(FilePath) or Get(FileName) locates the details for the current FileMaker database. I'm importing from Appleworks, and there are lots of different files to import.

• 2. Re: Imported file names and/or paths
            comment

su.knight@torld.co.uk wrote:

I'd like to keep a track of the filename that the record originated from.  Is there a simple calculation that can find this for me?

I don't know of a simple solution. Perhaps you should start by inserting the file into a global container field (as reference only). This will give you the name and the path of the source file. You can use that for both importing the file and entering the source into the data - either as auto-enter during the import or Replace Field Contants immediately after.

• 3. Re: Imported file names and/or paths
              usbc

I run across this from time to time and have settled on starting the import script with a custom dialog which presents a global input field(s) to identify the source / batch. The script ends with a Replace on the found set.

I found that the existing file names were confusing or meaningless to the goal. I mention this under the flag of be careful what you wish for.