8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 8:24 PM by wrwaugh

Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?

wrwaugh

Let me first appologize for re-posting this here, but I received no replies and I am very curious as to this issue.

I have a file which is on a remote server. When accessing the file via IWP all is well unless one activates a button set to "Go to related record" at which time the database layouts all (50+) become totally scrambled.

A few clarifying points:

1. This only occurs when using Internet Explorer as the Browesr. When using Chrome everything works properly.

2. T/O one is "Archived Clients" (which is a relation of ClientFile::archived to ClientFile::Status)

3. T/O two is "Active Clients" (which is a relation of ClientFile::active to ClientFile::Status)

4. On layout "Archived Clients" (from the Clients table) is a portal showing records from T/O Archived Clients.

5. On layout "Active Clients" (from the Clients table) is a portal showing records from T/O Active Clients.

6. On layout "Archived Clients" is a button in the portal row set as "Go to related record" get related record from Archived Clients

7. On layout "Active Clients" is a button in the portal row set as "Go to related record" get related record from Active Clients

Clicking on the button from the Active Clients layout results as planned: going to the individual client record and all is well.

Clicking the button on Archived Clients layout results in going to the correct related record but the layout is now looking sort of like a left justified column of fields with layout items mixed in.

I used the recover command: no help, and I saw nothing informative in the recovery log. I made a compressed copy, a clone then exported all records to xls then imported them into the clone. No help.

Since going to related record from one T/O (Active Clients) works fine, I deleted the Table Occurrence of "Archived Clients" and recreated it: no help.

Since the T/O of "Archived Clients" rests on its own layout, I deleted the layout and recreated it: no help.

I have tried deleting all but a couple of older records and the problem persists. It is not always immediate. Sometimes I can click on the go to related record button and it is fine, then after a few other changes of layouts I come back to the troublesome layout and the problem appears.

Have any of you heard about a problem like this, and with only IE and not Chrome? I have not yet tried Firefox or Safari. Attached is a Word doc with a couple of partial screen shots of what occurs.

• 1. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
          DrewTenenholz

wrwaugh --

First, you wouldn't necessarily want to use the 'recovered' version of the file.  If nothing was fundamentally fixed, then there was nothing 'broken' about the file.  Recover should mostly be used to rescue data from a file that won't open.  The recovery process has certainly improved over time, but it is not something you can just run on a file and then expect it to magically fix whatever was broken and produce a file you'd want to use in production.

Second, IWP is a bit different than FMP and the main issue in getting your layouts to look right is hidden in the 'stacking order' of elements on the layout.  I can easily imagine that different browsers would render the on-the-fly translation of a FileMaker layout to a web page differently.

By 'stacking order', I mean setting the options in Layout Mode under Bring Forward/Send backward/Bring to Front/Send to Back.  Unfortunately, there is no way to display the current order on-screen and see which items are on top of which others.  (This is NOT the Tab Order.)  You have to manually re-order items, possibly starting with sending all to the back and then bringing all but one item forward and repeating until you have a clean order that IWP renders well.

Without looking at the layout, my guess is that you have some elements which are too close to one another and they are stacked up in an IWP-unfriendly way.  Some browsers are getting confused when the page is created.  IWP layouts should always have a more generous amount of space between elements, and button objects must be stacked and spaced so that clicking on one button doesn't end up triggering the one next to/on top of the intended button.

HTH,

Drew Tenenholz

• 2. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
            wrwaugh

Thank you for your reply.  The layout has been working fine for a couple of months.  It has recently begun this behavior.  I have users now accessing it through Chrome (to avoid the display issue with IE). 

Since this problem only recently occurred I thought it might be a corrupted record, hence my exporting/importing of records.

Additionally, I should say that one can navigate through 20 or so layouts without any problem until one settles on then leaves the “Archived clients” layout.  Then the file goes wonky and all layouts are totally blown apart.  The layout which causes this problem is based on the same table as several of the layouts that do not cause the aberrant behavior.

If you could shed any light on this I would be happy to send you a link to the file so you could experience it first handJ

Riley Waugh

919 951-8399

• 3. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
              DrewTenenholz

Riley --

Is it possible that you made even minor changes to the layout?  Just moving elements around that are improperly stacked can give undesired results.

You could build a brand new of this layout, creating all of the elements withOUT using copy/paste, and see how it performs.  (Opening multiple windows can be really helpful for this.)  If the new layout never fails, then you have something either overlapped or a corrupted element (graphics?) and you should delete the current layout.

Would rebuilding the layout take an unreasonable amount of time?

-- Drew

• 4. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
                Stephen Huston

Hi Riley,

The appearance of the layout(s) in a browser doesn't mean anything went wrong with the file. If you open the file in FileMaker, I would expect that all layouts look and remain placed as intended. In that case the browser has had not effect on the file, nor is the file at risk from having this appear; it's just a browser limitation

What Drew told you about browsers rendering and stacking of object on layouts is on point. So is his warning about not using the recovered file, as it may be less reliable that the unrecovered file, having been put through the recover process, which is NOT a FIX process; it's intended only to make data recoverable, discarding anything  that might hinder data recovery.

You can test the layouts which render correctly against the structure of the layout(s) which look wrong to determine what differences are important. I would even suggest building a layout simply to test the various components/layout objects to determine which one's trigger the problem.

And, of course, there is the simplest, but always tiresome warning: if XXX doesn't work, quit doing XXX. this can be applied to using the less-reliable browser version(s) as well as to the using certain layout elements once you know which cause the problems.

It would be really great if all Browsers in all versions worked as expected, but no two browsers render things identically even on standard html pages. We all end up using what we like best, and that may apply to viewing IWP screens as well.

• 5. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
                  wrwaugh

I’ll give it a quick try

• 6. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
                    wrwaugh

Stephen and Drew,

Thank you for your input.  I think, hope, that I have it resolved.  I did make a new layout from scratch… same problem.  So I knew it had to be in the relationship.  I created a new relationship with a new name and adjusted the layout accordingly.  At this point it seems to be behaving… we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
                      Malcolm

Thank you for your input.  I think, hope, that I have it resolved.  I did make a new layout from scratch… same problem.  So I knew it had to be in the relationship.  I created a new relationship with a new name and adjusted the layout accordingly.  At this point it seems to be behaving… we’ll see how it goes.

That simply doesn't make sense to me.

As Stephen noted, IWP is a web publishing technology. Filemaker uses something clever under the hood to approximate the behaviour of the filemaker layouts on the web.

Your web browser is receiving a jumble of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is then up to your web browser to display this. IE is notorious for behaving differently to everyone else.

If your layouts are OK in Safari/Chrome, Firefox and Opera you might (1) Move your user onto those browsers or (2) Simplify the layouts which you use so that IE is able to cope.

malcolm

• 8. Re: Srambled layout on IWP - Corrupted file?
                        wrwaugh

I want to thank you all for you input. 

I do want you to understand that there was something wrong with the file that caused the corrupted appearance when using Internet Explorer Browser to view the file on IWP.

When viewed on IWP, if you went to a certain layout and then left that layout, all other layouts then became totally scrambled.  As long as you stayed away from that layout all was well.

In the end I deleted the suspect layout and replaced it from scratch but the problem persisted.

I then deleted the Table Occurrence that was represented in a portal on that layout and made a new similar T/O and updated the Portal in the layout fields and the fields in the field to reflect the new T/O.

All is now well.

Go figure... I can't.  But I have the old file and the new one, if anyone is curious I can put them both on the server an you can have a look.