5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 3:39 AM by sicoa

GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.

nmurphy24

Go Zync seems like a fantastic product for transaction level syncing between Filemaker Pro or Filemaker server. and say an iPad.

Is FileMaker going to provide a way to do this within future Filemaker software, or should I just pay the licensing fees for GoZync?

• 1. Re: GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.
          sicoa

FileMaker does not usually respond to questions about future functionality...

My personal belief is that in order to provide a truly scalable, supportable and reliable data sync mechanism, FileMaker would need to invest a significant amount of time into creating a very generic data synching framework to cover as many sync requirements as possible. I think they would prefer to spend that time improving FileMaker in a number of other ways that would increase FileMaker product value!

Specifically on your question, I would use whatever options are currently available i.e. write your own data synching scripts and functions or use ready made and tested 3rd party plugins!

• 2. Re: GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.
            nmurphy24

I believe the iPad  (FMGO) and Filemaker server software, especially with ESS,  are the growth paths for FileMaker.  I think I just read iPad sales greater than laptop sales last year?  Approximately 40 % of the usa workforce is mobil.  Not providing an enterprise level sync ability means ceding a good portion of sales to competing products.

I'd let big business use Oracel and MS SQL Server,  ESS to Filemaker, and sync to the iPad.

• 3. Re: GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.
              sicoa

Having worked with Siebel for years, specifically with PDA solutions, I know the pain one can go through to get data synching right!

I'm pretty sure all FileMaker developers, including yours truly, would love to see FileMaker develop a data sync framework that would work across the FileMaker product range. However I don't think FileMaker believe it is something they should provide out of the box. Saying that I don't work for FileMaker so I have no idea what future releases may bring...

By the way, could you post which competing products provide data synching functionality? I'd be interested in having a look!

• 4. Re: GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.
                nmurphy24

Humm, if Siebel isn't doing it well, then I was wrong. because I always considered Siebel a leader in this field.  However the growth of Ipads greatly exceeds the growth PDA's ever had, so the potential revenu e for Filemaker...,  eh, what do I know?.  Go Zync is looking better and better.

• 5. Re: GoZync vs Filemaker internal iPad to Server syncing.
                  sicoa

I wouldn't consider Siebel (now Oracle CRM) as being a competitor to FileMaker (at least not at the moment). I consider FileMaker as being much more of a development framework for any task, than a set of specific products to deal with CRM and Analytics.

In addition I don't think that even on price and TCO there is any comparison.

Dimitris