7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 5:14 PM by lhoong

Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?

smoothie

Hi;

I'm a bit a nubie on FM, but an old hand with VB, SQL, etc. What I'm tring to do is allow a user to click on a portal row to select a file who's path is stored in a related table field into a global container field in the current table, so they see the contents without having to store every doc in the related table. Can anyone shine the light for me?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
          techt

What do you want to do with the file - open it? You can store a file in a container as referenced file, so it isn't actually in the database itself. That will help on size and potentially remove the need for second file. Since the files are only referenced, why move the related link into a global in the first file? Why not just leverage the relationship and open the file from the first?

This probably raises more questions than answers, but you'll find everyone here willing to help.

Tim

• 2. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
            lhoong

smoothie,

If the purpose is to allow the user to preview the selected file, you can use a web viewer object instead of a global container field. You can set the web viewer Web Address (URL) to the file path in the form of:

file://myHD/directory1/subdirectory2/daFile.pdf

If the filepath is stored in a container field (e.g. TOC::PathField), the Web Address calculation may look like:

Substitute ( GetValue ( myTOC::PathField ; 2 ) ;

Case (

Abs ( Get ( SystemPlatform ) ) = 1 ; "filemac:/" ;   //Mac platform

Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 2 ; "filewin:/" ;   //Win platform

) ;    //end Case

"file://" )  //end Substitute

Depending on the file type, your mileage will vary in terms of whether the file will preview and how much scrolling the user will have to do to view the content. On a Mac, .pdf previews quite well.

HTH.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer

• 3. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
              lhoong

Oops, my bad. The web viewer Web Address calc. should be:

If the filepath is stored in a container field (e.g. TOC::PathField), the Web Address calculation may look like:

Substitute ( GetValue ( myTOC::PathField ; 2 ) ;

Case (

Abs ( Get ( SystemPlatform ) ) = 1 ; "filemac:/" ;   //Mac platform

Get ( SystemPlatform ) = -2 ; "filewin:/" ;   //Win platform

) ;    //end Case

"file://" )  //end Substitute

The Get ( SystemPlatform ) result for Windows is a negative value.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

• 4. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
                smoothie

Ideally, I'd like to have a container on the right of a portal containing a list of docs of all types attached to the record on the left.  Click on a portal record and have the script load the doc into the global container on the right, rather than opening the file in the native application until the user sees that the doc they've selected is the one they want to use.  I was also thinking that it would be good to be able to use the OLE functionality to allow the user to edit a doc right in the container if they want and use a script step to save it.....  user745's suggestions sounds like it may just do the trick well enough, although it wouldn't let you edit in, it would let you look at most doc types.

• 5. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
                  lhoong

smoothie,

Please be aware that future versions of FileMaker Pro may no longer support OLE. See here:

bit.ly/w4r1AH

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

• 6. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
                    smoothie

Hi Lee;

I've tried your suggestion, but get nothing but errors from the web control when I point it to a word doc, excel file, etc.  I've replaced \ with / in the path, tried adding "http://localhost/file://" to the front of the string, etc. but all to no avail.  how do you get the web viewer to display a document for an application on your box?

I think the ideal would be to be able to insert the file as an object into a global container field

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Inserting files as objects into a container with a script step?
                      lhoong

smoothie,

I've attached a .zip archive that contains a file (PreviewContainer.fp7) to illustrate previewing a file using a web viewer object.

Please note that on the Mac, graphics files (png, jpg, etc.) and PDFs preview correctly, but MS Word and Excel files do not. I have not tested this sample Db in Windows, so I'm not sure if the behavior will vary.

HTH.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024