1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 9:20 AM by Stephen Huston

Creating a list that looks up indidivual entries in a related field and that reside in another file.

Another novice playing at being a database developer....

I have a contact management database with all my customers in

I have an account database with the address details of all of the different accounts in which my customers are to be found

I have an invoice database with all invoiced items to date (and that is regularly updated)

I have a product database with a list of catalogue numbers, product descriptions and prices

I want to be able, in my contact management database, to create some sort of table, ideally with a series of drop downs that will allow me to select a catalogue number and then using this have FIlemaker auto-enter the description and price alongside.

I was wondering what the best mechanism to do this might be. There is no obvious relationship that I can establish between a bunch of customers and a bunch of products and I am bamboozled at how to be able to create a list of catalogue numbers, and each time I enter a catalogue number to have Filemaker pull the appropriate info from the priduct database to sit alongside each.

I know this is Filemaker 101 to most but I am not the most synaptically gifted.

• 1. Re: Creating a list that looks up indidivual entries in a related field and that reside in another file.
          Stephen Huston

Create the Value List in the file where the product database resides. Depending on the number of products you might prefer to make it a list showing the product's primary_Key field as value one and Product_name as field two. Have it sort on the product_name but store the primary_Key.

In the file where the selection will occur for the Invoice or Order, create a Value List which uses the values from the list in the other file. Format it as a Drop-Down Menu item.

You can use this show the list of product_names but it will actually enter the product's Key. YOu can then set the other values in the ordered item based on lookups or auto-enter calcs with that relationship.

1 of 1 people found this helpful