1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 9:11 PM by ach

Getting error message File not found

ach

When going to "manage database' I get an error message The file"" xxx.fp7"could not be opened (Not Found) - when the file that I am actually in is the file that can't be found.

I have gone through the fields in this database to see if this file was in a different folder when I created that particular field so that the file doesn't recognise that the file is already opened - but found no such field.

• 1. Re: Getting error message File not found
          karendweaver

Rich

I have not seen this behavior, but check your external data sources - is it possible you have created an external reference to the file you are in??

Also check the relationship graph and any field references.

warm regards,

Karen

• 2. Re: Getting error message File not found
            ach

I have checked the External Data Sources and the file that is 'Not Found' is there with the correct File Path. Have also checked Relationships and again no file under that name present.

• 3. Re: Getting error message File not found
              MarcDolley

I suggest you go back in external data sources and change the file reference to just say file:xxx.fp7. No file path or anything. But if it is the same file, there shouldn't be an external data source entry for it anyway. It sounds like you've somehow linked it to a copy of the file.

If that doesn't work, delete the file reference completely and reselect your file when it asks again.

Regards

Marc

• 4. Re: Getting error message File not found
                ach

Did both of your suggestions and still get error message. and have checked, this file is no longer listed in External Daa Sources.

• 5. Re: Getting error message File not found
                  AlanStirling

Hi Rich

I'm not in a position to test this now, but I think you will find you have set up an import script step from one table in your file to another.

Links to external files which are generated in scripts do not show up in Manage External Resources. If you point the open file dialog back at your file, you shouldn't see this again (until you move your file again).

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 6. Re: Getting error message File not found
                    ach

I thought about this but I have hundreds of scripts and couldn't think of a fst way to narrow down which one it could be - any suggestions to filter through scripts to find the culprit script?

• 7. Re: Getting error message File not found
                      karendweaver

Get this:

http://www.dracoventions.com/products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php

You can quickly search all your scripts for the file reference.  Amazing tool.  Cannot live without it.

warm regards,

Karen

• 8. Re: Getting error message File not found
                        sporobolus

on 3/8/12 1:31 AMach wrote

I thought about this but I have hundreds of scripts and couldn't think of a fst way to narrow down which one it could be - any suggestions to filter through scripts to find the culprit script?

the low-tech way to do this is to select all the scripts in Manage Scripts, and

print to PDF, then search the PDF; you can also create a Database Design Report

and search the result using your web browser's search tools (or grep through

the HTML)

• 9. Re: Getting error message File not found
                          Stephen Huston

I have seen this behavior several times since the FP7 file format gave us direct access to the external data references.

If the path to the file itself includes any directory info, it can break if the file is moved, even if the directory part of the path appears to be correct. Resetting the External Data Reference for the self-same file to a relative link rather than a path link should fix this. Resetting it to an Internal link is more reliable. (See 1 below)

A couple of points are worth making regarding External/FileMaker Data Source references.

1. The practice of making a data reference to the self-same file is rarely optimal unless you are currently developing the file for use as a Data Separation Model file type where you will need to repoint this later to a different file. The only time such external references get made to the same file by default is during manual TO creation of an intentionally referenced TO. If this is not going to be used in a Data Separation Model system, it should be an internal reference (top of the file list, in the current file) and no external source is needed to the self-same file at all.
                          2. Be aware that External Data Source references do NOT require the .fp7 file extension at the end of the referenced file name. We don't know if those which  specify fp7 in the file name will continue to work the next time FileMaker undergoes a file format change and uses a new file extension. I went through and removed all my .fp7 extensions last time I was updating references, and they work fine without them.

Stephen Huston

• 10. Re: Getting error message File not found
                            ach

Thanks for info but I have removed the same file as an external data source and within Relationships any reference to the same file is chosen as the top of the ist current file, so I am really not sure why I still the get error message Not Found!

• 11. Re: Getting error message File not found
                              ach

Thanks Karen - very handy plug-in indeed

• 12. Re: Getting error message File not found
                                Stephen Huston

If there is a script step anywhere which references the file via an external data reference which  no longer exists, you will still get this error.

It may be time to run a DDR and examine the scripts output for anything with "missing" as part of the phrase to identify where an obsolete reference is within any script.

• 13. Re: Getting error message File not found
                                  ach

Can you please tell me what DDR stands for?

I have used 2empowerFM toolbox to search 'missing' but did not find any scripts with this word in the phrase. I also searched 'missing' in Manage Database to no avail.

• 14. Re: Getting error message File not found
                                    sporobolus

on 2012-03-15 21:59 ach wrote

Can you please tell me what DDR stands for?

Database Design Report, a feature of FileMaker Pro Advanced

I have used 2empowerFM toolbox to search 'missing' but did not find any scripts with this word in the phrase.

you should probably search for the name of the missing file, not the word "missing"

1 2 Previous Next