3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 9:16 PM by MacDevGuy

Automatic notification of changes

danielle-gwa

Dear FM forum

I have developed a database and I am trying to get it hosted by a hosting company. Before I allow other users access i need to establish a way to ensure quality of the database is maintained.

I want to establish a method that will allow me to see any changes that are made to any of the fields in the database. When a user edits/imputs information into any of the fields or makes any change to the database structure itself I as the administrator want to be notified of the change. If possible I want to see -the before change screenshot perhaps (possibly by running a script trigger to run on object enter) and then

-the after change screenshot (possibly by running a script trigger to run on object exit)

I want this notification to be sent possibly as an automatic email so that the user does not have to physically send the email and so their work is not delayed and they are not distracted.

If this email notification is not possible- possibly creating a layout with portals for each active layout that is updated with any changes made with a timestamp and noted username of by whom the changes were made?

Has anyone any idea of the best way to solve this issue? Possibly by one of the ideas I have outlined above?

I am open to any other suggestions of ways to achieve this notification.

Thanks

danielle-gwa

• 1. Re: Automatic notification of changes
          jbante

I've never seen a system that will do before-and-after screenshots, but you can track data changes with an audit logging solution. Ray Cologon's version is the most highly-cited: http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demosX/demoX01.html

For the admin notifications, you could create a server-side script that periodically checks for new modifications and generates an email.

• 2. Re: Automatic notification of changes
            MacDevGuy

Hi danielle-gwa,

You could implement a screenshot routine but it would require more work than you would probably want to undertake. It would also require desktop touches. JBante's suggestion is a good one. I don't know Ray Cologon but I have seen some of his Filemaker Videos and he's really good.

Another suggestion would be:

Setup a layout for change requests/submissions.
            Users would never have access to the actual record other than read-only access. On the read-only master, place a duplicate of every field you want them to be able to modify. For example if you have NameFirst, NameLast, you would make additional fields called "NameFirstCR" (NameFirstChangeRequest), and "NameLastCR" or some other title that works better for you based on your naming convention.

Use conditional formatting to hide them during normal use. In order to make changes the user would click a "Update Contact" button. Use the button to trigger the fields to appear alongside or in another area and allow entry on those fields. Next you could do a button that would "Submit Changes" and the confirmation dialog might say "Thank You for submitting your changes please allow up to [24-72] hours for the changes to take effect." Next someone might have to approve the changes with one button that pushed all the changes into the target fields or with a button by each field that was changed that might say "Accept Change"

You'd probably have to add a flag to records that were submitted for change and have a script find those for the admin (Maybe that's you?).

• 3. Re: Automatic notification of changes
              MacDevGuy

Sorry I just noted the date on these posts. Yikes!