6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 1:35 PM by johnhorner

Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client

ebassily

I'm currently developing a file using FM Pro and wanted to host it via FileMaker Server so that my colleagues can start working on the data entry while I finish development and fine-tuning of the file. The problem I'm facing is that we can access the file using our FileMaker clients on the local network only, but can't access it from outside the office. I'm wondering if there is an easy, rather straightforward, way to access my hosted files on my office's LAN. I, as well as my colleagues, need to be able to work on this file from home and from other work locations. I tried Instant Web Publishing but it only allowed data entry, and only worked on the office LAN too, so it didn't do any good in my situation. Would appreciate any quick and helpful responses. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
          robwoof

Hi ebassily,

In order to have access to your database from outside the office LAN, you need to

1) set up the office router to forward port 5003 to the FileMaker server's internal address. If you are not using FileMaker Server, you should be, but it works the same if the file is hosted peer-to-peer. In that case, the port forwarding needs to be to the host machine's internal address.

2) find out the office's external IP address (the address of the office connection as seen from the outside world). To do this, go to a computer on the office LAN and point a browser to whatismyip.com - it will load a page showing the external IP address.

3) you can then connect from outside the LAN by going to File->Open Remote… and setting up a "Favourite"  host with the external IP address.

I hope that makes sense.

Rob

• 2. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
            ebassily

Dear Rob,

Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful reply. It makes a lot of sense to me, and I will test it first thing in the morning on Monday, and will get back to you with my findings. But, I'm pretty sure it should work. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
              beverly
                • be sure to assign accounts and privileges (security) to the databases before sharing (of any kind)

see this document https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-1115

Beverly

On 10 Mar 2012, at 10:58 PM, robwoof replied in whole or in part:

created by robwoof in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

Hi ebassily,

In order to have access to your database from outside the office LAN, you need to

1) set up the office router to forward port 5003 to the FileMaker server's internal address. If you are not using FileMaker Server, you should be, but it works the same if the file is hosted peer-to-peer. In that case, the port forwarding needs to be to the host machine's internal address.

2) find out the office's external IP address (the address of the office connection as seen from the outside world). To do this, go to a computer on the office LAN and point a browser to whatismyip.com - it will load a page showing the external IP address.

3) you can then connect from outside the LAN by going to File->Open Remote… and setting up a "Favourite"  host with the external IP address.

I hope that makes sense.

Rob

• 4. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
                ebassily

Thanks for the advice and the attached document.

• 5. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
                  ebassily

Dear Rob,

Thanks a lot. Your answer was both correct and very helpful. I appreciate it.

Elijah

• 6. Re: Accessing files hosted on FM Server via Internet not thru IWP but using FM client
                    johnhorner

thanks in part to your post, i have set up fm server and succefully deployed a solution to be acessible from outside the lan, but i have 2 quick questions about this configuration:

1. it seems incredibly slow (~5-10 seconds to load a relatively simple layout... and perhaps 2-3 times as slow if using go to access the database from 3g).  is this to be expected or do i possibly have something configured incorrectly?

2. i would like to be able to test the wan access to the file from within my lan, but if i type in the same public ip address (into "favorites") i use to access the hosted file from outside my lan, it shows no files (although i can still access the server if i select it from the "local host" instead of using "favorites".  is it not possible, or is there a way to force clients on the lan to access the server by using the public ip address instead of the local address?

please help... thanks!

john h.