3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 10:37 AM by beverly

limit text field entry by character/word count

LauraZ.

Hello,

My client has a two column printing job - merge field. Entries are made in a text field that enforces a font, but no longer a size as well, because I am allowing them to resize the 'clear' lines between paragraphs in order to do some formatting. They want an alert to tell them when they have reached the maximum amount of text for the merge field, but with the 'clear lines' between paragraphs, the character counts cannot be counted on, and the word counts are pretty undependable too.

Any suggestions for tamping down parameters a bit better for them?

Thank you,

Laura Z.

• 1. Re: limit text field entry by character/word count
          beverly

In these cases, I've put the merge field on the layout with an overlay of the "constrain" box. It's a visual clue and really the best way to see what will happen, as the font or other variables prohibit a "character-count" method of limiting the field.

Just one way, use or use not...

Beverly

On 12 Mar 2012, at 11:58 AM, Laura Zantzinger asked in whole or in part:

created by Laura Zantzinger in Printing and Reporting - View the full discussion

Hello,

My client has a two column printing job - merge field. Entries are made in a text field that enforces a font, but no longer a size as well, because I am allowing them to resize the 'clear' lines between paragraphs in order to do some formatting. They want an alert to tell them when they have reached the maximum amount of text for the merge field, but with the 'clear lines' between paragraphs, the character counts cannot be counted on, and the word counts are pretty undependable too.

Any suggestions for tamping down parameters a bit better for them?

Thank you,

Laura Z.

• 2. Re: limit text field entry by character/word count
            LauraZ.

Thank you Beverly,

That is a nice idea to draw a box around the merge field and call it "constrain box". I do have the merge field on the print layour for them to view in browse mode. I also put beside it the character count and word count fields, as well as a field that shows the last ten words of the text field. That way, they can compare the last words in the merge field with what they should be, from the last ten words calc, and click an X in a "needs editing" field if they don't match up. However, now I think, since this is also the print layout in two columns, I should put an 'edit text' field right there on the layout so everything can be done in one place. Of course all the fields, besides the text field, in browse mode are non-printing objects.

Thank you again!

Laura Z.

• 3. Re: limit text field entry by character/word count
              beverly

Yes, I have made the layout as "printable" and anything outside the page margin is set to "non-printable", but could be editable. So you'd only need one layout to make changes and from which to print.

Beverly

On 12 Mar 2012, at 1:32 PM, Laura Zantzinger replied in whole or in part:

However, now I think, since this is also the print layout in two columns, I should put an 'edit text' field right there on the layout so everything can be done in one place. Of course all the fields, besides the text field, in browse mode are non-printing objects.