2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 9:52 AM by worldcloud

How do you create a Web Based Hosting Control Panel

MarkJeffords

How would you create a Control panel for someone to upload a file to FileMaker Server 11, Start, Stop it or back it up. This would be a custom interface and not the Server admin console. TIA

• 1. Re: How do you create a Web Based Hosting Control Panel
          BowdenData

marksprofm wrote:

How would you create a Control panel for someone to upload a file to FileMaker Server 11, Start, Stop it or back it up. This would be a custom interface and not the Server admin console. TIA

Mark,

Look in the FM server documentation and/or help for the command line interface that FM server has. Your "control panel" would need to use some of the available commands for starting, stopping, etc. There isn't a command for uploading a file, but that would be regular OS commands for file copy and so on.

Not sure what your goal is, but keep in mind that with FM Server 11, you can have server admin groups. You can create groups that have limited privs. A typical use case would be where you have multiple workgroups that have dB's on the FM server. You can create a group for each workgroup so that they can do basic management of their files, but not touch the files belonging to others. They also can't change any of the server configuration settings.

HTH.

Doug de Stwolinska

• 2. Re: How do you create a Web Based Hosting Control Panel
            worldcloud

As a hosting provider, I feel like I could write volumes on this subject. I am actually working on a crazy complex system right now, to be released before Devcon. The CLI is usefull, but if you only need the CLI functionality, you could simply set your users up as administrators and use SAT and FTP- this is what worldcloud currently provides to many of it's clients.

My view is that a well-written panel should extend the capabilities of SAT, not simply replace them. One common observation is that SAT does not limit the number of files uploaded, but our solution to that issue is not to limit the user, but rather audit his file count and charge for additional files not included in their package. This audit method also gives us a means to know exactly how much drive space each client is using, both for backups and for production databases.

If you are a TechNet Developer member, you may wish to pay attention to the current offerings of that program, as one feature you mentioned is specifically addressed. My last thought on the manner is that PowerShell has become very powerful and is included on the newer versions of Windows Server.