5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2012 2:26 PM by derisco

Retina resolution - chances and problems

intex

I am personally shaking my head about the retina display of the new iPad and what it means for software development.

OK, the new iPad has nearly the same screen resolution as my big, really big 27inch iMac, but it is only 9inch in size. So everything, that is not adapted to retina resolution is only a third in size or even less. That should be true for 90+ percent of all websites, all the non adapted apps and of course our FileMaker apps used in FileMaker GO, that were originally made for the desktop.

So, what will the user of the iPad do? He or she will double tap to enlarge the display of the content to fill the screen and to fit into the resolution. And what is the result? The super sharp display is showing super unsharp graphics. At least one can hope, that the new graphics hardware will be able to handle that fast. But as a result of the better display I get less sharp graphics in most cases. This is very frustrating to me.

So then, we can resize all our graphics and icons in our solutions to the new resolution. That´ll be fine for the retina display. But it makes our solutions much bigger and slower, it will increase the overhead in a database file. And for what ? Is a 27inch display really that bad, that we need a better display, more resolution, higher sharpness ? I doubt that. I already found the 27inch Mac to be very sharp and making all kinds of contents really little in size, so that I often wish to have a lens. So - at least today - in most cases the bigger graphics are just not used bits and bytes junk.

What are you doing and thinking about it? Will you rebuild all your graphics stuff in your applications and on your website ? What do you think about speed and diskspace all these giant graphics need? How about network traffic? How will you handle retina and non retina display in one application ? Is this the comeback of text based interfaces, that can be easily resized as vectors ? Is a Windows 8 metro kind GUI a solution and a compromise for these problems ? Or are there no problems ?

• 1. Re: Retina resolution - chances and problems
          Stephen Huston

Keep in mind that FM Go will not allow you to zoom out so far that the current layout less-than-fills the screen. You can zoom in, but not out to make things super-small beyond the full layout size.

• 2. Re: Retina resolution - chances and problems
            sporobolus

on 2012-03-15 13:12 intex wrote

So, what will the user of the iPad do?

i suppose we'll probably hear soon if FM Go presents special problems, but the

general expectation is that all current iPad apps will be presented at full

screen; in almost all apps (Kindle being the known exception) text is

automatically rendered at the same size but at the new resolution; i believe

bitmap screen elements will be scaled, so they'll display with the same

resolution as on iPad 1 & 2, but they may still seem coarse with respect to

other elements of the UI

• 3. Re: Retina resolution - chances and problems
              intex

Due to the new MacBook Pro I am pushing this thread again.

I read, that crossplatform programs like Photoshop or Google Chrome and Firefox are not using Cocoa for text rendering and therefor have problems with the Retina display, i.e. the text is not sharp. This doesn´t happen to Cocoa text API using Apps.

How about FileMaker ? Is FileMaker 12 using Cocoa for text ? How do normal FileMaker layouts (old style and made with the CSS designs of FM12) look like on the Retina display ?

• 4. Re: Retina resolution - chances and problems
                TimAnderson

I would think that FM12 will be fine - they probably knew what was coming and a good explanation for the change the from px to pt

• 5. Re: Retina resolution - chances and problems
                  derisco

The only Pronlem I have had so far is the File Maker splash screen ie blown up and looks wierd when starting File Maker Pro 12 on a MacBook Pro 15" With Retina Display.