4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2012 9:49 AM by measteruncc

Autonumbering line items

measteruncc

I have an Customer Order Entry layout, which has a portal for entering each line item. I would like the Line item # to be generated aotomatically, restarting with # 1 each time a new Customer Order record is created.

Does anyone tell me how this is done?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Autonumbering line items

Hi Mike,

The record number of a table is it's line number.  So if you have a LineItems portal on an Invoice layout, just use your text tool and type @@ into the portal row to display its line number. 

The problem with wanting to insert the number as data into the record is that, if you delete a line, you will have to renumber your records.  Not only is this inefficient but it can break in multi-user as other Users might also be adding, deleting or 'renumbering' lines. 

So it is best to let it be handled dynamically using the record number symbol itself. 

• 2. Re: Autonumbering line items
            measteruncc

Hi Laretta,

Thanks for the support.  I don't quite understand what you are saying. What do you mean by type @@ into the portal row. Sorry.

Mike

• 3. Re: Autonumbering line items

You know how to type a label using your text tool (the 'T')?  Just type @@ on your layout and then drag it into your portal row.  @@ is the symbol for record number and, if it is in your portal, it will produce the line number (record number) of each LineItem.

• 4. Re: Autonumbering line items
                measteruncc

Oh, that was too simple.

Thanks again,

Mike