3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 10:20 AM by Stephen Huston

Can't Turn Off IWP Sharing

user12837

I have a database which keeps showing up in the IWP home page, and in FileMaker Server as IWP-enabled, even though I've turned off Web sharing and cleared the fmiwp extended privilege for all accounts.

Is there a trick of some kind?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Can't Turn Off IWP Sharing
          Stephen Huston

Have you turned off the IWP Server and then restarted it?

If not, that may be required before the settings take fully.

If that doesn't work, you may need to change the sharing settings on the UNserved files then reload them onto the server.

• 2. Re: Can't Turn Off IWP Sharing
            user12837

I turned off IWP and couldn't restart it.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled FMS -- and the problem file still shows up as being IWP-enabled.

I'm confused about this: "If that doesn't work, you may need to change the sharing settings on the UNserved files then reload them onto the server."

Do you mean files not served by IWP?  If so, do I need to close them, open them with FM Pro, do something to the sharing settings, then load them again?  I have fifty files which aren't served by IWP, but are on the server.

Thanks,

Tom

• 3. Re: Can't Turn Off IWP Sharing
              Stephen Huston

Because files which are being served by any flavor of FM Server are technically "open", some setting changes made to them simply do not take a expected unless the files are removed from the server, opened in FMPro (or Advanced) and changed while unserved, and then put back on the FM Server.

I have never been certain which settings can be successfully modified, but have found that Security/permissions stuff and Sharing are more reliably changed when off-line than when served.

So, if you are working on the files while they are being Served, the settings for serving options (Extended Privileges) may not take because the files are currently using the old settings.

If you can take the files off-line, make the changes to disable IWP permissions, and then put the files back on the server and restart the server, it should hold the new settings.

( Another issue with Served-vs-Unserved file states: Keep in mind that many settings hold the last unserved state of the file when it is next served, including opening by default on the last layout it was on when closed unserved. Also any global values in place when last closed Unserved will be retained as default values on the Server. These  have an impact on record loading/caching, and can result in unexpected values in global fields. )