7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 2:06 PM by lkeyes

Deploying Go with Apple Configurator

lkeyes

Hi.... I"m trying to work out a budget for iPads with FileMaker Go, and was wondering if Go can be deployed using the Apple Configurator, (which is, I think, the newest iteration of the Apple management application for iDevices).

One thing they talk about is a VPP (volume price profile) or token that is used when deploying pad Apps.... is this available for FM Go?

Any suggestions on how to deploy in volume would be helpful. Note this isn't just the fp7 file, but the Go app itself.

• 1. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hello lkeyes,

Please see the following info:

<http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9928/~/filemaker-apps-available-for-volume-purchase>

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

On Mar 20, 2012, at 10:47, lkeyes wrote

Hi.... I"m trying to work out a budget for iPads with FileMaker Go, and was wondering if Go can be deployed using the Apple Configurator,  (which is, I think, the newest iteration of the Apple management application for iDevices).

One thing they talk about is a VPP (volume price profile) or token that is used when deploying pad Apps.... is this available for FM Go?

Any suggestions on how to deploy in volume would be helpful.  Note this isn't just the fp7 file,  but the Go app itself.

• 2. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
            DavidZakary

I believe that the VPP program is only available in the US right now. Which for lkeyes is fine, but the rest of the world waits...

• 3. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
              lkeyes

With the recent update to version 12, and the fact that there are free runtimes now for i-Devices,  I think my question is moot.  While I haven't actually tested with FMGo12,  I've installed a couple other "free" apps using the Connfigurator, and also seen how the Configuarator stops installation of paid apps. 

---- Larry

• 4. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
                lkeyes

A litte bit more .... just tried deploying 15 iPads,  with Configuator.  This worked fine for distributing the FM Go 12 Application.... but I've yet to figure out how to (gracefully) distribute the actual file to the iPad via the Configurator. 

You can deliver files if you go beyond just installing a profile...  but as far as I can tell, you have to "supervise" the unit, and assign a user.  Once you've assigned a user account then you can attach documents to that user.  

It appears to be a bit of a mess. I've spent hours on this, and haven't yet gotten exactly the right image/profile/apps/docs  to go on a fresh iPad. 

Insights appreciated.    ---- L  

• 5. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
                  DavidJondreau

I don't know about Configurator, but you can have users connect to a remote database and download a file stored in that database using an OnOpen script. So you can store the target file in the remote db, have users log on and the rest of the install would be automatic.

• 6. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
                    lkeyes

Hi David,

I think I may have a solution. I can provide a link to an fmp12 file that the user can download from Safari.

Once this file is opened, in FileMaker, then it stays on the list, as it has been downloaded.

• 7. Re: Deploying Go with Apple Configurator
                      lkeyes

Update:

Still got the same problem;  we have to distribute the file via Safari.... rather than within the actual Configuator as part of the profile.  It looks like you can distribute "documents"...i.e. files within Configurator if you assign the iPad to a user as a "supervised" device. 

The Configuator will allow distribution of FM Go as part of the profile.