5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 11:11 PM by Vaughan

How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!

kimbutler

I have a simple personal database that is not shared with anyone, and I don't need any security, but the template I used with FileMaker Pro v11 had the security feature turned on. I cannot create and delete accounts, but I cannot completely get rid of the whole security login requirement. Can you help me? Thanks!

Message was edited by: kimbutler

• 1. Re: How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!
          Vaughan

Which security feature do you refer to?

When you have the file open, can you use the Manage > Database and Manage > Security commands? If so then you have Full Access to the file and can do anything. If not then you'll probably need a full access account and password.

The security cannot be turned off, but the database can be set up to automatically open with a default username and password. Go into File menu, File Options... and check the "Log in using:" option, then enter the acount and password.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!
            kimbutler

Thanks Vaughan, I do have full access, so I can do the work-around as you indicated and that will get me by. But I have several other database that have NO security at all. I would like it to just go away. This is the only FileMaker database I have that happens to have the login requirement. None of my other database files have that requirement.

Thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!
              Vaughan

There is no such thing as NO security for FMP files.

If you look at the other files they will have a default account and password entered into the "Log in using" option -- by default it is "Admin" with no password.

I recommend you take the time to learn how the security works. You might, for instance, want make it impossible to delete Contacts if they are linked to an invoice, but be able to delete them if they aren't used for anything. This kind of functionality is done with security.

• 4. Re: How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!
                kimbutler

You are correct Vaughn. I checked my other files and without my knowledge I guest they were defaulted to open in the manner you described. So thanks for your help, I'll remember this fact in the future.

• 5. Re: How can I turn the security login OFF... Don't want it!
                  Vaughan

kimbutler wrote:

I checked my other files and without my knowledge I guest they were defaulted to open in the manner you described.

FMP files are born with full access account Admin no password, and set to log in at open. If the file is anything wlse thn somebody has changed it.

Actually, I'm falling into the trap of assuming that the whole world uses English... is the default account named anything else in other languages?